My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought at first it was the battery. Replaced that. But it’s not holding a charge. Called the dealer. They quoted me a crazy price on the alternator. Almost $300. Me: “Ok, what’s that part number? Thanks!” Got the after market one on Amazon for $80.

The part arrived yesterday. I thought I could pull up a nifty you-tube video and do the exchange quick & easy, right? WRONG!! I can’t find any videos. ****, I can’t even find the old alternator to remove for the swap out. So did they tell me the wrong part number? RE72917. Am I blind or is the f#$8ing thing somewhere in the middle of the engine and impossible to get to?

Any help from you wonderful people would be SO APPRECIATED!!!

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
First, you appear to be doing the "throw parts at it hoping to fix it". You may wish to rethink that process, unless you have lots of money.

Second, The main alternator bits are probably under the flywheel of the engine, so you'd have to get that far into it. You might look up the parts diagrams for your specific model, that should tell you if you have the right parts and roughly where they go.

Third, before digging into the motor, I would suggest testing the regulator, as it is more likely to have failed than the bits under the flywheel. It generally is also more easily replaceable, but I have no specific knowledge of your particular engine to know for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, no. Not lots of money. And I obviously don’t know what I’m doing. My husband just had rotator cuff surgery so he can’t help me with this.

I told him that it wasn’t starting. He said I probably needed a new battery. So I bought that and put it in. That worked fine for about a week now I’m back to not starting. Husband and the dealer said “alternator” so that’s what I ordered.

I guess I just need to have JD come and pick it up and fix it for me. ☹

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve looked at a couple of other Gator Tx’s of different years and this alternator that I purchased can be plainly seen. This is not on my Gator. The dealer told me the wrong part number. So I’m starting over.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Sorry, I was wrong about the alternator, as googling for "gator tx alternator" shows a alternator that resembles a car/truck one, and not a mostly integrated one like I described that most small engines use.

I'm not a JD guy, but you should be able to go here: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/
and punch in the model/serial number of your Gator, and then find the right part # for the alternator yourself.

And before ordering or replacing the alternator, I would suggest checking that the belt running it is clean (ie, no oil on it) and tight, as that can also prevent the alternator from working properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
https://images.app.goo.gl/aofKZ8SFwQ7AqMfq5

This is the one my dealer told me to buy. Looking into my Gator engine, there is nothing that even resembles this. I looked at a couple diagrams of other gators of the same models, but different years, and this alternator is in deed sticking out very obviously on the side of the engine. So this is just the wrong part.

Even though I’m not a mechanic and I’m a female, I’m not totally helpless when it comes to fixing things on the farm.

·
Registered
595 Posts
shoot me your email and which TX you have (turf, 4x2,6x4) and I'll send you a pdf of the tech manual so you can test things before wasting money

joe

I thought at first it was the battery. Replaced that. But it’s not holding a charge. Called the dealer. They quoted me a crazy price on the alternator. Almost $300. Me: “Ok, what’s that part number? Thanks!” Got the after market one on Amazon for $80.

The part arrived yesterday. I thought I could pull up a nifty you-tube video and do the exchange quick & easy, right? WRONG!! I can’t find any videos. ****, I can’t even find the old alternator to remove for the swap out. So did they tell me the wrong part number? RE72917. Am I blind or is the f#$8ing thing somewhere in the middle of the engine and impossible to get to?

Any help from you wonderful people would be SO APPRECIATED!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, thanks for the Deere catalog link. That did help.

Hi Joe. Thanks so much. I have a 2011 TX 4X2. Here’s a picture of the serial numbers of the vehicle and of the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can send back this giant alternator. I’m going to test the voltage regulator and see if that might be the problem. If the voltage regulator is defective, the battery won't receive enough voltage, causing the battery to drain quickly. So that’s my next step before I buy anything else.

·
Registered
476 Posts
In the future, I'd avoid Amazon for Deere parts. Just bite the bullet and part with the money, even though you know you are getting hosed you'll at least know you have what you need and if they did by chance give you the wrong one its super easy to exchange.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the future, I'd avoid Amazon for Deere parts. Just bite the bullet and part with the money, even though you know you are getting hosed you'll at least know you have what you need and if they did by chance give you the wrong one its super easy to exchange.
My Deere guy is the one who told me what part I needed and the part number. Usually I do go up there and just pick it up. But I checked on line & found it a lot less on Amazon and thought I’d save the money. Like I said, I can send it back, so it’s not a big deal.

I love John Deere equipment. I’ve had a few mowers. And I grew up on a farm where everything was green. The “parts” thing has always been a big gripe.

This Gator is starting to limp along. I probably need to trade it in. But I like to get all I can out of everything.

·
Registered
595 Posts
on the way

joe

Dave, thanks for the Deere catalog link. That did help.

Hi Joe. Thanks so much. I have a 2011 TX 4X2. Here’s a picture of the serial numbers of the vehicle and of the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts