My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my new 2010 42" Professional Lawn Tractor (model 247.28980) for about 2 months now and the front wheels are doing something real weird with the lawn. I noticed that the outer front wheel is digging a circular groove in the lawn when I cut around trees... its almost sliding more than actually digging in and turning. Ok, so after reading the manual I re-adjusted the toe in to within spec and it still digs the grooves. I also checked that the tires both point in the same direction (parallel to each other) when turned fully. It has been doing it since it was new.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on here or is this something that is normal for a lawn tractor?

I did confirm that this is the MTD version of the PYT series with a 24hp Briggs and Hydro-Gear rear end.

- Seascott

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks like the wheels are turned too far and digging with the outside edge of the tire. Is there a stop that is not adjusted?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the wheels are turned too far and digging with the outside edge of the tire. Is there a stop that is not adjusted?
There is no stop adjustment that I have seen in the manual... It is supposed to have tighter 12" turning radius vs most other Craftsman mowers that have 16". I like the tight turning radius but it digs these grooves all around the lawn where I turn around. Its really my only complaint about the tractor after 15 hours of service.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I can't say what the exact issue is, but if IIRC I have read about this same thing in the Cub Cadet forum. Your tractor is the first cousin to one of the CC units. It may be worth asking over in the CC forum. They have these tractors turning so tight anymore I don't see how the outside tire could help but 'plow' somewhat thru the turn.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think your scuffing problem is caused by the short turning radius. I have a new Simplicity prestige with a very mall turning radius and it also scuffs the lawn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts