My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Pretty sure the X540 has 1" spindles for the front, so those cheap 3/4" ones won't work. Here is the jdparts page:
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/72357/referrer/navigation/pgId/2429353
Here is the bearing for one:

Looks like they are generally available and a little over $100 for new, used ones don't look a lot cheaper right now.

Thank you for confirming what I thought I remembered.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I finally got off my thin wallet and ordered some supplies:

two new front wheels AM102887, $218 shipped
two new 4-ply MaxAuto sneakers 16 x 6.50 - 8, $64 shipped
mounting, $10.

I will scrap the one damaged wheel and store the other (near bald) for a spare.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Earlier this week I mounted the new wheels/ tires; the damaged wheel went on the street and was gone within hours.
Today I received some new outer yellow caps ($9, one was cracked). I'll place the two original caps on the front tire that I'm keeping as an emergency spare.

As my cutting blades are nearly two years old today I arbitrarily purchased new ones (54' C deck); $56 from Amazon.
Next month it's time for new oil, filters, plugs and lube; if the blades need replacing then I'll be ready. If not they easily store.

I also need to soon perform annual maintenance on the whole house gen set; all this is no longer the fun it once was; any volunteers? Free (after the fact) beer.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Had there been before, during and after beer, I would have started driving. hahahahahaha So few things are as much fun anymore.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I haven't read this whole piece but the Kawasaki engine is designed to run with the air filter on. If it is not on, trying to tune it will be a waste of time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I haven't read this whole piece but the Kawasaki engine is designed to run with the air filter on. If it is not on, trying to tune it will be a waste of time.
The missing air filters (2), the airbox cover and all the securing screws were replaced many years ago. Same with the missing headlamps and bulbs.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
With a recent rain break I finally changed the oil, filter, plugs and swapped the air filter; I also topped off the coolant. Suspect I'll need a bigger mallet to install the new wheels caps.
As I plan on bush-hogging some wooded areas (next month or two) I didn't install the new blades. Also will need to break out the lube gun when I perform this deck service.

Engine hours are now at 444.3.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I always use my heat gun on those plastic caps before hitting them. I get them to where they are almost too hot to hold and then they go on really easy with no chance of cracking. Ask me how I know about cracking new caps.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
So I finally got back to the deck. Recently the mowing deck drive belt (engine to deck) started coming off and the tension rod was adjusted all the way out, then out of the blue this same loose belt shredded. Knowing the deck was overdue for a check up I removed it for inspection, cleaning and lube. Surprisingly the blades (while nicked) were still solid so didn't get replaced; (elbow grease and a file touched up the worst spots).

Then drive 20 miles to the dealer where the three stooges worked together on the parts computer, sending me home with the wrong belt. Days later I returned only to find out the correct belt wasn't in stock. 5 days later I pick up a physically different than original belt (orig had teeth on one side, new belt had teeth on both sides). They assured me it was correct; $38 minus the prior belt credit of $28.

As we were leaving that afternoon I couldn't check it out but upon returning 10 days later I found it worked. Grass was now knee high.

Many of you probably know, but I didn't: from the right side place a large 1 1/8 wrench on top of the decks double spindle, step hard on it and it'll pivot - providing additional slack to install the belt. And turn the steering wheels aside so you can better see/ reach the engine pulley.

Now at 455 hours.

EDIT IN: thank for the heat tip, I hadn't read that until now.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Followup: after replacing the primary deck drive belt and operating I could hear something wasn't quite right, plus it appeared that the grass discharge would wain (as though it was heavily loaded down). Again climbing underneath I observed the belt that slaves the 3 blades had quite a bit of slack. Suspecting it had stretched I procured another belt ($58) and replaced it. Of course that meant removing / reinstalling the deck (ugh); set for cutting at 2.5 inches. Belt installation run matches the pictures.

While improved it still appears quite slack to me. Other than the one tighten / loosen nut I don't see any way to do more with it. All the various deck pulleys appear straight and soldidly positioned. So what am I missing?

81 - 91 of 91 Posts