My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Ommm, I'm again happy.

I was coincidentally passing by the (out of town) dealer today so thought I'd check up on it. Turns out it was repaired and ready for delivery. So I changed plans and led it home (I wasn't in my truck w/trailer).

They said a different mechanic found a crack on a plastic seal, top side, located under the reservoir??? Beats me.

FREE and included delivery. Now back to test driving it again.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Kind of a common problem with the fan seal getting cut with debris. It's a cheap fix just takes a little time to remove the seat pan and gas tank to get to it. Glad to hear you got it going again.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
It just never stops. I used the tractor today to move a 1500# trailer and it did well, so far no observed transaxle leaks BUT the engine is surging once again. Maybe 2 hours use since the deere dealer repaired this item.

The only gasoline I've added was direct from the Shell station on my way home with it last week.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
My intentions of returning this to the dealer to again take care of the surging got derailed. Today I dragged it out of the garage to mow the grass and discovered ... it only surges without a load on it. As soon as I engage the mowing deck it runs fine.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions on what I should do next.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Time to update my x540 trials and tribulations. As previously mentioned last fall it started surging again, but resolved itself in short order.

Then about a month ago the engine once again wasn't running well and I had no reverse; both symptoms came about after a previous no problem mowing - followed by my parking it.

As to the engine problem I pulled the fuel line just before the fuel filter - the gas only ran out slowly. I pressurized the tank (using the lip-lock method) and afterwards gasoline ran rather briskly. Splicing it back together apparently fixed that problem. Maybe a bit of debris in the line?

I tried many times to adjust the two travel pedals, never with any success. I even removed the mowing deck to get underneath. While underneath I noticed the front idle drive belt pulley had a slight bit of wobble to it. The pulley looked fine otherwise, just that tiny bit of side to side play.

Reluctantly I eventually took it to Mr Deere. Twenty four hours later, and one hour labor charge, they adjusted the pedals AND replace the pulley. I think it was $133 so even though I felt dumber, I also felt better about it working once again.

But the greatest news is they resolved another annoying problem I had. Ever since I owned this thing it had a bit of a buzzy noise; it sounded like a previous tractor I had with a loose heat shield around the muffler. I kept looking for the source and never found it. Apparently it was this same, now replaced pulley!

In the opening title I posted an incorrect hour reading, it was closer to 362? hours, my bad. Now its up to 377 hours, some mowing but mostly pulling trees/limbs/cart through the woods - with a fair amount of idle time.

I'm so confident of it now that last week I even donated my fairly new (22 hour) mowing x310 to my daughter.

I think my total investment is now around $2600. And she now purrrrrs like a kitten. I enjoyed todays grass session.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Glad you got it running good. You have 2 very nice machines. The X540 should last you pretty much forever.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
My first service (since placed in to service/ 2+ years and 45'ish hours ago), now at 418 hours on the dial. I changed the oil (it looked horrible) and oil filter, replaced the air filter and pre-filter, replaced the spark plugs, topped off the coolant. (Estimated $40). Greased tractor and mowing deck. All tire pressures were low and brought back to specs. Those tiny radiator cooling fins were plenty well clogged; first hit with gentle air then flushed with water (not recommended but necessary).

Found the upper bearing on the double pulley (mowing deck) was shot - and the belt that spins the three blades had twisted 1/4 turn between several spindles - before re-righting itself. Replaced pulley and belt ($147). Installed new cutting blades ($42).

After all these years I finally purchased an elec. impact wrench (plus both metric and standard deep impact socket sets). Those old cutting blades just flew off, no busted knuckles this time around.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
As you may know I have a 2011 X540 with over 800 hours. Had to replace a coil, actually 2 since they only replace them in pairs. And Brother is off thatching and mowing for another season.

It started with a hard municipal life, but now it's 54 inch mower has to only mow 3/4 of an acre, and blow a short driveway in winter. :tango_face_wink:

You'll be fine.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Those of us with X540's like to hear that Katt..

I got my 2010 with only 72.2 hours on it in July of 17 so I'm feeling really good that yours have 800+ hours.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
As you may know I have a 2011 X540 with over 800 hours. Had to replace a coil, actually 2 since they only replace them in pairs. And Brother is off thatching and mowing for another season.
I don't remember seeing any coils; what do they control and where are they hidden?

·
Registered
807 Posts
They send power to the spark plugs to fire the engine cylinders. Just follow the spark plug wires to find them.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Off the flywheel. It was running on only 1 cyl.

Was my project a couple of years ago. Needed some KATT TLC.

Brother needed the power steering and power lift especially for the snowblower, so I sold his LX188.

He loves it but it is bit harder to get on and off than the smaller LX188.

P.S. You did great stealing it for $1200 bucks :tango_face_surprise

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Off the flywheel. It was running on only 1 cyl.

Knowing that I hadn't noticed them that was my guess, Thank you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
I guess it's way past time to update (my hour meter currently reads 431.7) ...

for maybe a year now when the deck is in the raised position (irregardless of if the blades are spinning, or not) I hear a bit of a howl. When I lower the deck it (the howling) abates.

6-7 months ago I removed the mowing deck and found a mowing deck pulley (the one pulley that has both belts in common) was shot on the top side - and the belt slaving the tractor to the deck had several/ minor cracks in it. A casual inspection of the PTO didn't raise any concerns.

By my replacing both of these observed problems (pulley and cracked belt) I guessed/ hoped that the noted noise's would resolve my issue; I was wrong.

So while it's still in use - and still howling - I figure eventually something (PTO) will fail and then it'll be easy to diagnose.

Despite this noted (potential) problem I still trust / enjoy this aged x540 tractor.

·
blinged out
1,235 Posts
I fire up the leaf blower and clear the rad,trans fan and engine ducting, deck everytime I run the 540 for more than 1hr. It's good insurance!

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I ordered these after Grandpajay recommended them and they are bright white. I got them on Amazon but they are probably available elsewhere. Even though is says "Backup" light they are plenty bright for me. Compared to stock they are almost like night and day!

3 of LUYED 2 X 1700 Lumens Extremely Bright 1156 4014 102-EX Chipsets 1156 1141 1003 7506 LED Bulbs Used For Backup Reverse Lights,Xenon White(Brightest LED in market)
Sold by: Hot Light Team
Return eligible through Feb 12, 2019
$17.99

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Just to add a note: today I went to mow and rather than turning over the starter only clicked. Hoping that it's the battery I put a charger on it and came in for some lunch.

That got me to wondering, how old is my battery (then I remembered this post and here I am). This battery was on the X when I purchased it, so five years old. I can live with that.

Now its falling cats and dogs (rain) with accompanying thunder claps - guess I'll go take a nap. Life is good.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Past time to update.

I continue to have the whine (first reported above, message #75), but only when my mowing deck is raised, I'm still waiting for something to fail.
It wasn't long after my report (#78 above) before I needed to replace the battery; ten years ago they were $20, now they are $50.

Then something else failed, a front tire came off the rim (while making a tight circle on cement) and damaged the rim. The tire store hammered it back in to shape and used a tube to reinflate it; however that too soon came off so now I'm looking for another front rim (2007 x540).

As both front tires (I believe they're original) show wear on one side - while I'm at it I'll go ahead and replace them both.

So my question is, what is the rims axle dimension? I'm thinking one inch - but unsure; amazon has some cheap 0.75 rims with tires mounted, will they work? Anyone?

Also, any recommended tires, or ones to avoid? Used in both mowing grass and dragging the woods (trees/ limbs to the street).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
61 - 80 of 91 Posts