My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a weird problem with my tractor after working a few hours pushing or blowing snow and then get on the highway in hi range the trans seems to slip it will only rev but when i put it in medium or low range its fine once it cools down its ok again for a few hours.Any help would be appreciated hyd.pressure has been checked and everything is in range

·
Registered
84 Posts
Any possibility that it has the wrong specification of transmission fluid in it ?

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
When it's slipping, look to see if the wheel is spinning in the tire, Low tire pressure, slippery fluids and cold temps are prime causes of this.

Good luck
Dave

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Welcome to MTF
What type shuttle does your tractor have(sync or hyd)? Have you checked for correct clutch pedal free travel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes checked free play also its a hyd.shuttle and it will only slip when working a few hours with it............Thanks

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Yes checked free play also its a hyd.shuttle and it will only slip when working a few hours with it............Thanks
How many hours on it?

It could be the clutch is weak and just slipping in high wen hot where it has enough grip for low range.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,059 Posts
By any chance does your clutch pedal stick a little?

I’ve run a kubota with a failing clutch twice over a 10 year period (it lived a hard life of serving many mechanically inept people who had never operated a tractor before), and one of the symptoms was that the clutch pedal would “stick” in the depressed position to the point one would have to reach down and pull it up to unstick it. When it finally would unstick, the tractor would behave exactly as you describe- wouldn’t even hardly move in high gears or tow much of a load. I bet dollars to donuts if you had enough traction to prove it, the clutch might even slip in medium or even low range. Not likely to happen on snow and ice though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that would be something i can chk on the next outing thanks for the info...............will let you know

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
By any chance does your clutch pedal stick a little?

I’ve run a kubota with a failing clutch twice over a 10 year period (it lived a hard life of serving many mechanically inept people who had never operated a tractor before), and one of the symptoms was that the clutch pedal would “stick” in the depressed position to the point one would have to reach down and pull it up to unstick it. When it finally would unstick, the tractor would behave exactly as you describe- wouldn’t even hardly move in high gears or tow much of a load. I bet dollars to donuts if you had enough traction to prove it, the clutch might even slip in medium or even low range. Not likely to happen on snow and ice though.
It's definitely something's around the clutch or clutch mechanism, the throw-out bearing run back and forth on the input shaft housing of the transmission, with time the housing wear out where the bearing move 99% of the time, when the disc clutch wear thinner the bearing tend to get stock in place on the housing.

plate-clutch-69824648.jpg

I saw that many time

Those pictures are not from your tractor but it give you some idea how it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ouff if thats the case its going to be a big job not a good time snowstorms here every week............Thanks again

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
This one is from your tractor

Capture.PNG

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
ouff if thats the case its going to be a big job not a good time snowstorms here every week............Thanks again
For a 2000 hours tractor it's normal. Imagine how many time you depress the clutch in 2000 hours.

But before you split the tractor in 2 make sure all the linkage going from the pedal to the throw out bearing fork are clean, well adjust and not wear out.

·
Administrator
16,809 Posts
Does it do this in conditions other than when plowing / blowing snow? Just a WAG but its possible that snow/ice could be freezing up and restricting throw out bearing or clutch linkage in some manner. Just throwing it out there but I do agree, in 2000 hours it certainly seen a lot of use..
MikeC

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
It's my understanding that depressing clutch pedal on a hyd shuttle tractor such as M7040 opens a hyd valve but has nothing to do with a TO brg or releasing a dry clutch plate. My suggestion is to check hyd shuttle pressure. How many hrs of operation since both hyd filters were changed?

Attachments

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
It's my understanding that depressing clutch pedal on a hyd shuttle tractor such as M7040 opens a hyd valve but has nothing to do with a TO brg or releasing a dry clutch plate.
Just to make sure I understand, you say when depressing the clutch pedal it don't actually release the pressure on the friction disc?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts