My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Thank You MTF
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any ideas on how to release my diff lock? Was great for snow blowing but I don't think it will be for mowing.

The shaft going into the differential seems to be stuck.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,809 Posts
Sorry was thinking free wheeling rod:

From the online manual:

Engaging Differential Lock
1. Stop or slow machine down.

2. Push differential lock pedal (A) down to the foot rest. Lock will remain engaged as long as pedal is depressed.

NOTE: Turning radius is increased when differential is locked.

Disengaging Differential Lock
1. Release differential lock pedal.

Once the load on the transmission is equalized and reduced, the differential lock will disengage automatically.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My GX345 is, unfortunately, a pre-difflock model. I know it does not help you now, but I have seen comments on this forum stating that activating the difflock while spinning a tire can damage the system. Does this apply to your situation? I am certain that you have tried rocking the tractor back and forth, so I won't insult your intelligence with that suggestion.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
if the gears are under load when you stopped it, pushing and pulling the lever will not release it....drive it fwd and backwards a bit to take the pre-load off the gears.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Another thing to try is lift the rear tires off the ground and spin the tire by hand to release. Lifting it will take the load off the differential lock.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
gt275's comment ++

OP almost sounds like it was always used in diff lock all winter season. Constant turning would put a lot of stress on the lock up mechanism. My impression has been that diff lock was for limited use when needed. Not sure where I got that impression, but activation via a foot pedal instead of a selector lever would imply "as needed" only. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
303 Posts
gt275's comment ++

OP almost sounds like it was always used in diff lock all winter season. Constant turning would put a lot of stress on the lock up mechanism. My impression has been that diff lock was for limited use when needed. Not sure where I got that impression, but activation via a foot pedal instead of a selector lever would imply "as needed" only. Am I wrong?
That sounds a bit far-fetched to me. It's not like forcing hydraulics into bypass or leaving a pressure washer in bypass, both of which eventually cause overheating. This is a mechanical device and should be fine to use for as long as needed. Otherwise I'd imagine the manual would have a warning saying not to use it for extended periods of time.

OP, I would disconnect the linkage from the transmission and see what is actually stuck. If it's the linkage then it should be easy to see where it's bound up. If it's the lever coming off the transmission then I'd try working it back and forth some with both rear tires in the air.

·
Thank You MTF
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds a bit far-fetched to me. It's not like forcing hydraulics into bypass or leaving a pressure washer in bypass, both of which eventually cause overheating. This is a mechanical device and should be fine to use for as long as needed. Otherwise I'd imagine the manual would have a warning saying not to use it for extended periods of time.

OP, I would disconnect the linkage from the transmission and see what is actually stuck. If it's the linkage then it should be easy to see where it's bound up. If it's the lever coming off the transmission then I'd try working it back and forth some with both rear tires in the air.
This was the last think I tried (both tires in the air, linkage disconnected, rocking tires and manually tried to release it). I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow. I mowed with it last night and it didn't seem to damage the lawn that I could see - but it would be nice to have it working properly.

·
blinged out
1,215 Posts
I'm sure something in the lock or slide has been bent or burred from turning on dry ground. running with ballast weight would add to the probability! I'm sure there not meant to be used constantly like someone posted or they would have put a lock position on the pedal! most with a 4 wheel drive [not all wheel drive] know dry ground and shart turns cause bind! diff lock is the same, the wheels are travelling a different distance when turning something has to give ,either a wheel slip or a clutch slip and these don't have a clutch in there! if neither of these things happen either the axle shafts or coupler takes the brunt!

·
Thank You MTF
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious. I was mowing last night and was trying to back up it and only one tire was spinning. Does that mean it came out of diff lock or does diff lock not work in reverse?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Differential lock works forward and reverse. Did the orange foot button come back up?

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,043 Posts
if only one tire was spinning, then the diff lock released. these locks are a pin or finger style,where a tab on a collar physically drops into the diff gear, preventing the spider gears from spinning...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Some people weld the spider gears to get a locked differential. This does increase traction when going straight, but makes turning hard and decreases traction (since one wheel has to slip).

Jack the tractor up and see if both wheels move in the same direction when you turn one. If they do, the differential is locked. If they move in opposite directions, the differential is working fine. I would bet something is bent and I would see if I could figure out what.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts