My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THought it was a bad alternator. It's not. Helping elderly cousin on her car. Read 12.48 V at the battery when I got there. Start the car and it reads 11.88 V. Both, at the fender terminals and at the alternator as well. Put on a new one and it read 11.84 V. Returned it and had them check the old one. It worked at the store. Reinstalled old alternator. Still at 11.88 V. So...I resume, since voltage is being controlled by the pcm, that it's a faulty pcm. She doesn't have the bucks for 190 dollar pcm. I did find an external 'kit' claiming it solves the problem. Kit runs around 70 bucks. Anyone have experience with these regulator kits for Chryslers?

·
Super Moderator
31,938 Posts
When this happened to my sons Jeep it was the battery cables that had corrosion in the cable not the regulator. You can test this by running a temporary ground cable (jumper cable from the neg battery terminal to the same ground point of the battery negative. See if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Alot of the Dodge people do that with the external regulators, the only problem is the CEL light will probably stay on for that. You can also get a 1 wire alternator but they are pricey.

·
Super Moderator
4,001 Posts
You're in rust country... before you throw any more coin at it check all the wiring thoroughly, especially the grounds.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hate having to do the battery post check thing, but I will. The batt is inside the wheel well in front of the left front wheel. Idiots. Going there Tuesday, for another reason, while there I will do further checking. THanks for the advice...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts