My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Yardman riding mower.. took some thing apart to clean it and now after replacing the deck, it's loose... I can move it forward and back.. Don't know what I've misplaced... It will cut but because of the loose deck, the belt does not have enough tension and will quit in tall grass and even in log grass it will not get up to full speed because there is no tension. Any one has a similar model they can take few pictures of the deck for me? Or any videos there I can look at?

Thanks!!

2004 mtd model: 13ad683g713

·
Certified Technician
8,385 Posts
If there is only 1 lever that raises and lowers the deck, and also engages the blades, there is a large spring that hooks up back near the transmission, and hookes to the bracket on the back of the deck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I new it had to be something simple, I didn't think I lost or left out any parts, but it has been about a year since I took it apart so I couldn't remember.

Thanks

It is the one with one lever. I hope I didn't loose that spring!

·
Certified Technician
8,385 Posts
Its a huge spring, and has a ton of tension on it when its hooked up. It latches onto a little bracket near the tranny.

I usually use some recoil rope and a peice of pipe to stretch it back and up, while pushing with my legs on the rear tires. A helper is handy to have, as well.

I believe this is what it looks like, its almost 10" long, and a little over an inch in diameter.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Well, I always thought that when I was putting something back together, I was done when I ran out of parts.
I'd think that removing the spring, and releasing the tension, would have been memorable, as I am leary the power stored in springs. Too many mashes of the fingernail and consequent pain, or the red stuff that leaks out when the tip grazes a palm make me very wary. I have even gone to wearing leather gloves when I start to mess with recoil starter springs after getting pinched one too many times.
Sometimes I wonder at the 'convenience' that some designers build in. If that spring has enough tension, it will start to wear a groove in its attachment points as it is tensioned/de-tensioned. I have seen a groove in the MTD deck height control mechanism that has been moved perhaps a half dozen times, or maybe it is the blade engagement. Either way, its wearing a groove, so I dabbed some grease on it to help relieve the friction and wear.
tom

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Sure doesn't look like it has enough tension to keep any belt from slipping. Is there another 'logical' hole further rearward where a spring could likely reside? Are there any wear marks where the spring eroded some paint near that hole?
In the 1st picture, following the bracket where the spring is currently hung, go upwards a bit towards the frame rail, then to the rear of the bracket, at the bottom of the vertical, can the spring connect in the corner? It would add tension, and would be a 'straighter' pull for the spring on the arm at the other end. If the spring were swapped, end for end, it appears the closer end has a longer 'straight' before the hook, which would allow it to clear the bracket more readily. But the picture might distort the apparent length. Of course, I do not own one of these for comparison. Maybe another poster...
tom

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll see if I can find any other place to attach the spring. From the picture RED posted, seems like the same spring. Maybe it's not connected in the right place?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
on some it hooks to a bracket on the axle and on others there is a P shape clip that hooks the spring to the axle. I was working on one and found the P clip on the garage floor and wondered what it was from. It was not until I moved the car and found the spring under it that I realized I had some research to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll look at this when I am home from work since I can't see the pictures here, did you figure it out? I had this same issue on my 04 Troy built the other day and I am guessing it is the same basic design. I used a pair of linesman pliers on the spring and made **** sure I had a good grip when I took it off and pulled it back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts