My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have older Craftsman 2004 GT-5000 with the crappy 446777-0244 26HP Briggs engine that has the poor camshaft and air filter design. After 5 yrs of use I'm now seeing the same problems everyone has seen with this poorly designed engine and now I need to replace it. My question is, what is the best and cheapest replacement model to use. I notice tewarehouse.com has the briggs 44p777-0111 with the same short block # and crankshaft size, would this work? There is also the 44Q777-0126 that shows a newer replacement, but it's more. So will the 44p777-0111 engine work as a good replacement and will the electrical connector line up? Maybe someone can post what engines they've used as a direct replacement.

Thanks, R.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello R.,

Yes, try like davidg says, to get a replacement through Briggs. I had mine replaced and the 44P777 is the replacement. The old muffler hooked up to it exactly and the only mod was to move the fuel filter/hose to the other side of the engine. The electrical hookup plug is the same. The 44P777 has an oil sensor behind the oil filter with a green wire going to the modular plug. It is not utilized on the GT5000 and is OK to leave it as is. After the initial break in using dino oil, I switched to synthetic. I have 100+ hours now on that new engine and no problems whatsoever. That new air filter is pretty pricey but it is sealed and it does work very well.

Terry

·
Registered
172 Posts
Definitly try what davidg said. If that fails and you are mechanically inclined, You might want to try rebuilding the motor. You would need a new set of rings and head gaskets at the least. I have done ring replacements on a couple of these engines (got off ebay with these problems) and it isn't too bad of a job, just takes time and patience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, for the information. The main problem is the camshaft which must have very little lobe left which controls the upper valve on the left side of the engine since the valve barely moves even when I put pressure on it when running. The rod is good and straight though, so it must be a defective camshaft. I'm sure its been like this for a long time and now that the head gasket is blown on that side, it's output is even weaker. The compression is 120PSI on that side and the good side is 140PSI.

As far as contacting Briggs, I did that and they told me to take it to an authorized Briggs repair center and there might be a chance they would override the warranty. I called some dealers and they're telling me to forget it since it's been too long. I noticed a lot of people doing this, but they've found out it's a big hassle and most of the time they won't step up to plate. Therefore, I'm not sure I really want to load it up, take it in and fight the battle since it takes too long and I need to get this thing back in service. Has anyone had the camshaft problem I'm having and has Briggs stepped up to the plate to fix it? Would calling Briggs directly versus Emailing them be better?

Also, Terry you mentioned the 44P777 you got. what is the -xxxx you got? I was looking at the 44P777-0111 is this ok to use? and you mentioned the sync oil you use, is this the SAE 30 type?

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello Robert,

My engine is an early model I suppose by the suffix, 0026E

You can download manuals from briggs and maybe that would help you determine the difference. What price have you found for a 44P777?

and to answer your question about oil, I used dino 30w first and switched to the Briggs recommended 10W30 synthetic.

Terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information Terry. Is the main top pulley tough to get off the crankshaft? I ordered a new 44p777-0111 from tulsa engines for 679.95 free shipping.

BTW, I was going to sell my old 446777-0244 engine if anyone is interested in rebuilding it. I have taken good care of the engine which I wish was just the opposite so the camshaft problem would have presented itself sooner before the warranty ran out, but anyway, it will need a new camshaft and rings on the left cylinder and a head gasket.

Thanks for all your help,
Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts