My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a 2003 LT1000 tractor with a 17HP B&S Intek engine that seems to have a broken connecting rod. The engine made a pop sound and shut down. When turning over I hear a banging noise and there is no compression, the engine just free spins. I have read varying things about poor head gasket design leading to gas dumping into the crankcase leading to engine failure. So I'm pretty certain that this is the problem.

My question is this: Do I take it apart and replace the rod, or do I search for another engine? I called Sears for a quote on a brand new engine and was quoted the "best" price of $1050 for a new B&S engine - yeah right...

How difficult is it to substitute a cheaper engine in the $400-500 range? I have a flat 1/2 acre yard, so I'm not worried about HP.

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
........... I have read varying things about poor head gasket design leading to gas dumping into the crankcase leading to engine failure. So I'm pretty certain that this is the problem.......
Pray tell-
How can a head gasket cause gasoline in the crankcase?

You can't make any judgements about repair feasibility without tearing it down and inspecting it.

Odds are, it'd make more sense to get a replacement engine.

What's the Model & Type of your current engine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about that possibility of gas into the crankcase, but since I don't know a whole lot about small engines, I just assumed that what I read was a possibility (I know, I know.....)

Don't have the model and type with me at the moment.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
The machine is 10 years old, so the market for even a running machine isn't that great for alot of money ($100 - 200).
You may be able to find a running machine with a bad tranny or axle, that the engine could be swapped out. I missed one this past weekend, best thing was that it was FREE. But no gaurentees. Check the local Cragislists. They are few between and go fast.
Before springing for the big price tagged item, check what the new mowers go for. You could part out the older model and help pay for the newer one.
But overall, make sure the older engine is toast. It may be something simple and inexpensive, depending on your level of mechanical ability.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But overall, make sure the older engine is toast. It may be something simple and inexpensive, depending on your level of mechanical ability.
Thanks for the advice - I'm positive that there is a major issue inside the crankcase, not exactly sure what, but based on what I know about car engines, it sounds like a bad rod. Also the fact that the engine is free spinning and there's no compression, further reinforces my feelings

·
Registered
7 Posts
From what I read, the head gasket is prone to failure, but the result is sucking the oil into the cylinder. If not caught in time, rod failure is imminent.
Check out this video -
- he pulls the head at around 12 min.
At the end he shows several failed head gaskets.
Good Luck

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi All, I have a 2003 LT1000 tractor with a 17HP B&S Intek engine that seems to have a broken connecting rod.
Check craigs for a similar era running mower.
R&R the running engine and whatever else is in better shape than yours.

Put the rest out behind the garage with a tarp over until more bits are needed.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
A flathead 12 hp Briggs would work just fine and those are very plentiful around my parts, anyway. It will outlast three Inteks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts