My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This truck sports the 3.9 V-6 engine and just rolled up 80,000 miles. It has NEVER been in the shop for a repair job. Fluid, filters, brakes, tires, etc... is it. Still showing no rust and the reliability of this rig is way high up through the roof! It is a bit on the thirsty side though. Was thinking about trading up for a newer truck, but after hearing what the dealer, any dealer, wants to give me for this on a trade in, I've decided to drive it for at least 3 more years.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a 93, drive 90 miles a day, bought cheaply with supposedly bad trans, did not care as I had all the parts needed to convert to a stick here in my shed anyway. would have done so even if this truck came with a brand new transmission, anyhow,
Mine has a 318 (5.2) V8, gas mileage is surprising. My last Dakota was a 94 with your same 3.9 engine.
Which, BTW, is a 318 with 2 cylinders cut off. Much interchanges between them.
My 94 had the 3.9 with auto trans, reg cab short bed. I got 17 MPG highway on a "good" day. My 93 club cab, with the V8/stick, gets "only" 17 on a "bad" day. usually 18.5-19, have hit 21 on a solid 70MPH highway run.
192K miles, still uses no oil. Starts every day. never left me on the side of the road even for a flat tire. I have 62K+ on this truck since I bought it, and climbing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
your 3.9 IS known for its longevity, except for 1 thing; being an odd fire V6, they like timing chains around 125K miles. Cheap repair if you do yourself, only 4 more bolts involved, over doing a water pump. but have seen many over 250K in the boneyards and it is usually something besides engine failure that puts them there, even then.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I had a 2000 Quad cab 4x4 with the 4.7, it was a great truck & driven right would get around 18 MPG. It came with a POS rearend, which was unusual & i only had to hit 4X in extremely rough conditions.
I needed more room being i was in the heyday of guiding fly fishing trips & got a 1500. The Dakota would run circles around a Hemi which tickled me to death when they messed with me on the Interstate, i was 42 at the time & didn't mind pushing it:fing32:
I've been on the search for another one being i retired from the guiding gig so i could fish more, they're hard to find in these part's.
Keep on running it & get your money out of yours.

Ronnie

·
16,824 Posts
My question to the O/Poster--how does that V6 do towing something--say that small trailer behind your truck in the first picture--with some weight on it--up and down hills?

glenn

·
Registered
626 Posts
The company truck where I work is an '07 Dakota with the 4.7 high output engine. It has been a very reliable rig. The only things that have been replaces other than normal maintenance/wear items are the front end control arms got worked on as well as the front wheel bearings, front drive shaft CV got rebuilt at around 180k miles, water pump got replaced at around 190k, the transfer case module got replaced a couple months ago. Other than that, we've not done any major repairs. For mpg, it gets avg around 16.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts