My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
HD
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I found a 2002 X585 for sale that I'd like to go look at for an upgrade to my 318. It has a 62" deck, a 4 way blade and wagon with only about 300 hours on it. It isn't listed as 4wd, but from my understanding all the x585's are 4wd. How do they cut, would a smaller deck size be better?

Thanks,
HD

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
The 62” is too wide for its on good, too easy to shave some dirt. Out in the flat it’s great! I love mine. I’d cut seller s grass for 1/2 hour or more to warm up engine to make sure it runs right. And yes all x585 are 4x4 with a handle by drivers seat to engage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,635 Posts
As the title states, I found a 2002 X585 for sale that I'd like to go look at for an upgrade to my 318. It has a 62" deck, a 4 way blade and wagon with only about 300 hours on it. It isn't listed as 4wd, but from my understanding all the x585's are 4wd. How do they cut, would a smaller deck size be better?
How much grass do you have to mow, and how uneven is the lawn? I tend to agree with burned, the 62 is a lot of deck to fit in an undulating lawn without leaving high or scalped spots. That said, 300 hrs is short time for a 17 year old tractor, if the price is right, go for it, considering the blade and wagon. I'd hope for maintenance records, the low time makes me wonder why it wasn't used more, and it's also not really enough time for a hidden issue to pop up from use. I'm not that familiar with the gas engine.
I'd also hang on to the 318 if it's in pretty good shape and you have room the keep them both. Selling it would get you just enough for a down payment anyway, and they're very collectable. At least keep it long enough to find a 54" deck for the X585, and sell the 62".

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I agree on the deck. I have the 54" on my X585 and it is more than enough for the 3+ acres I do. My area is uneven to say the least and it performs well.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Many hour meters have been changed on these machines due to faulty gas tank level indicators and several other reasons. I would be sceptical of the 300 hrs.

·
HD
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is probably too much for my smallish yard, but the blade is nice for snow and would eventually like to add a loader for yard work. Not to mention foot controls!

There is a pickup pending, so it may already be gone. The pictures show a pretty small yard and I'd bet they inherited the tractor.

My 318, as you can see, needs some engine work. Compression is only 75 psi in both cylinders and still need to do a leak down test. Last summer lost power and then smelled gas. Restarted and had flames coming out of the exhaust. It still ran, but didn't trust it once the flames started. Figure rings and valves are shot. I'm okay with swapping out parts, but have never done an engine rebuild. Repower is also an option and then a leisurely rebuild of the onan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
JD X585 owner
513 Posts
I have an x585 with the 54c deck and very pleased with it. This is my 3rd year with it. Got it with 560 hours and at 760 now. Also have 45 loader, 47 blower, power flow with 14 bushel bagger, front dethatcher, and just added a Ruegg 3pt hitch. Great machine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
HD
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many hour meters have been changed on these machines due to faulty gas tank level indicators and several other reasons. I would be sceptical of the 300 hrs.

Thanks for the tip. They did mention their gas tank level indicator doesn't work so they just keep the tank full. If they didn't fix the level indicator, would it just stop counting hours? Or is it when they get replaced the hours get reset?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks for the tip. They did mention their gas tank level indicator doesn't work so they just keep the tank full. If they didn't fix the level indicator, would it just stop counting hours? Or is it when they get replaced the hours get reset?
The hour meter on my X485 works when it feels like it. In June of 2016 at time of purchase it read 471 hrs. It now reads 483hrs. The Hobbs analog meter I installed under the hood shows I’ve put about 175 hrs on it.

My point is, as others have said, be wary of the hour meter. Someone could have recently repaired it. I’d be looking at things like overall appearance, front tire wear, steering play, etc. and definitely inquire about service records.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
If only the fuel gauge is bad, the float can be off if the arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
553 Posts
Check around the transmission for leaks at any point where there are shafts coming out. I had to pull mine to replace all seals a couple of years back, on my 2005. Also make sure 4WD engages properly, the shift fork can get worn. Also check that differential lock works properly. The rubber fuel line inside of the tank should probably be checked/replaced. Those are the main problem areas I have seen. Otherwise make sure it runs good.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Since the dash/instruments were brought up -
Aside from the Hobbs see if there is anything else odd going on. You mention fuel but also see how the temp gauge reads.
With the machine/key in the "on" position turn the lights on one step at a time and watch the dash/instruments as you turn the switch for odd behavior like the needles jumping around or changing position.
Do the same thing with the machine running.

If the dash/instruments are having issues it may be a bargaining chip since a new cluster is now upwards of $1000.
Usually though it is a pretty easy fix if you are handy with a soldering iron.

The instruments on mine were in full blow whacked out mode when I bought the machine but an hour of removing the panel, soldering and clean up and it is back to perfect with the exception of the Hobbs which I don't care so much about.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Since the dash/instruments were brought up -
Aside from the Hobbs see if there is anything else odd going on. You mention fuel but also see how the temp gauge reads.
With the machine/key in the "on" position turn the lights on one step at a time and watch the dash/instruments as you turn the switch for odd behavior like the needles jumping around or changing position.
Do the same thing with the machine running.

If the dash/instruments are having issues it may be a bargaining chip since a new cluster is now upwards of $1000.
Usually though it is a pretty easy fix if you are handy with a soldering iron.

The instruments on mine were in full blow whacked out mode when I bought the machine but an hour of removing the panel, soldering and clean up and it is back to perfect with the exception of the Hobbs which I don't care so much about.
Sorry to go off topic, but what needs soldering on the panel?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a x585 and have had it for almost 5 years now. The thing is a beast. The only things I have done to it are basic maintenance, and replaced the fuel return hose due to dry rot. I did recently have a knuckle seal go out in the front axle, but it is to be expected for a machine that is 17 years old. In my signature you can see all the stuff I have for it, and use it all too. I recently bought a x748 that I am in the process of finishing up so I can move the loader to and leave the x585 for mowing duties as I am not a fan of swapping attachments all the time. Ultimately I have been very happy with it and wouldn't think twice about buying another one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts