My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been saving the dollars and the time has come for me to make the purchase. I have a JD X485 year 2002. I want to buy a plow for my tractor. I live in CT so we can get some decent snow. I currently have a snow blower but I hate using it as it always breaks down and my hands kill me after using it cause it vibrates like nobody's business. Well I digress...

Here is what I am looking for from responses if possible:

* part numbers for plow
* part number for hydraulic angler kit(I heard I need one of these)
* part number for chains for rear tires(I have HDAP)
* other considerations/advice( my driveway is flat with a slight angle so I am lucky there I think)

Thanks

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
you can part numbers, and cost at www.johndeere.com you have to "sign up" but it is free. You can enter y our model number and see all availabel options-

From what I have seen with HDAP tires and the additional rear weight you should not need chains especially with only a slight incline on the driveway...

Chains will do a chop job on the driveway (usually)

Plowing snow is no substitute for blowing though, need a place to push it too, and as long as you push FAR back initially (assuming the space is available) you should have room for the rest of the season...

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have been saving the dollars and the time has come for me to make the purchase. I have a JD X485 year 2002. I want to buy a plow for my tractor. I live in CT so we can get some decent snow. I currently have a snow blower but I hate using it as it always breaks down and my hands kill me after using it cause it vibrates like nobody's business. Well I digress...

Here is what I am looking for from responses if possible:

* part numbers for plow
* part number for hydraulic angler kit(I heard I need one of these)
* part number for chains for rear tires(I have HDAP)
* other considerations/advice( my driveway is flat with a slight angle so I am lucky there I think)

Thanks
http://configurator.deere.com/servl...erAction=customizeProduct&navigationPath=nav#

try this link.

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
54inc Blade 1491M Msrp $505.00
Front Quick Hitch BM19782 Msrp $618.00
Hydraulic Angling Kit BM20837 Msrp $190.00
Hydraulic cylinder Lock Out AM134625 Msrp $92.00
Rubber Blade Squeegee Kit AM31436 Msrp $70.00
Tire Chains TY15958 Msrp $85.67
Click & GO Brackets BM20714 Msrp $100.00
Click & GO Weight Bracket BM20779 Msrp $140.00
Hope this Helps:thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Your probably not going to need chains with the HDAP's. I would try it first before buying the chains. slkpk

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
I agree with Slkpk You probably won't need chains I runs AG Tires myself and just run 6 suitcase weights off the rear on the Click& GO Weight bracket and it plenty of traction for plowing snow. If you had turf tires then I would go with chains.:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
31,653 Posts
Sarg, the hydraulic cylinder lock out valve is included with the front-quick hitch.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 03 X485 and found a quick hitch / blade with 1 season on it for $700.00 at a local dealer who has a reputation for being expensive. The older ones from the 425, 445, and 455 all work as well - you just need a hose extension kit.

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
Sarg, the hydraulic cylinder lock out valve is included with the front-quick hitch.
I know it's included I just put the price out there anways:thThumbsU

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sergeant:
Thank you very much for this. I will order the following:

Ohio Steel Utility Deck - $59.00 (200lbs capacity)

I do not want to tear up my driveway so I will try the extra weights. I cannot see spending so much on official JD weights(sorry) when I can rig up something with use of cementblocks. If someone has a alternative to the Ohio Steel Utility Deck it would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you tried looking on Craigslist? I can't see dropping $1300 on a blade when there should be for sale somewhere in your area.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have tried but either missed opportunities or there was too little information to confirm compatibility. As you know with everything deere you must get the right product for your machine or you will be spending alot of time fabricating(which I do not have)...

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
Well I just want to point out the Deere weight bracket just because of the small size it takes in the back over those utility decks with the Deere suitcase or any brands suitcase weights it doesn't stick out as far as those utiliity decks will.

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have attached a Deere pdf that I picked up somewhere - I used this when I was chasing a blade for my x495.

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well I just want to point out the Deere weight bracket just because of the small size it takes in the back over those utility decks with the Deere suitcase or any brands suitcase weights it doesn't stick out as far as those utiliity decks will.

:thThumbsU
First off I value your opinion as one of the top notch on this site. I see you have 6 weights they sell at approx $40 per weight(@240.00) and the bracket which I think is approx $150. That is quite a bit of cash when the alternative is considers right?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
First off I value your opinion as one of the top notch on this site. I see you have 6 weights they sell at approx $40 per weight(@240.00) and the bracket which I think is approx $150. That is quite a bit of cash when the alternative is considers right?
With the HFT hitch-mounted cargo box, looks like the CG of any weight you add to it will be up pretty high, above the axle. You may get traction, but won't it come at the price of instability?

·
Super Moderator
17,152 Posts
Well there is also a Click & Go Ballest Box which is $253.00 BM20715 which would save you over $127 over my setup then you could use any ballest in the Box you wanted. Nice thing about the Click & Go Ballest Box is it has a tow hitch on the Back side so you can still pull drawn implements when the Box is on.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay I will weigh my options on that one =P I hate to switch gears but why does someone

Also how bad to chains rip up the driveway?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought the whole setup today. I opted out of the weights altogether and will try the chains first. The package should come in approx 2weeks. I will setup the machine and post some pics.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts