My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding this Lawnboy Silver 4-strokehttp://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=77928&highlight=free

I HAVE NOT YET CHECKED THE COMPRESSION

The first time I mowed with it...last week(?) it took a bit to get going again. And after a long while, it puttered to a stop, and started up right away again..

I went out to use it again yesturday, and when it finally started, it puffed white smoke. It ran for 10-15 minutes, then died. When I finally got it running again a while later, same thing, a puff of smoke.

When running, ir surged a bit and hang at moderately high RPMs. It didn't like any kind of incline (uphill, downhill, or side to side in either direction)

Shortly after, it came to a slightly more sudden stop and puffed white smoke again.

The smoke does NOT smell like burnt oil, and it's fresh gas, shouldn't have any water in it.

Any ideas? First thought would obviously be burnt rings. The oil is not above the full mark.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Those tecumseh carbs are picky. I've always had a hard time with them. I'd take the carb off the mower. Clean it with some strong carb cleaner like "berrymans". I'd also pass a tiny wire through the main jet to be sure its clean. I've thrown several tec carbs away that I couldn't get right. The fixed main jet does not help.

You should be able to find some technical info in the link below. Good luck
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
Same here... I just got done screwing around with one of those dumb non-adjustable carbs the other day on a Craftsman mower.

Only one word can describe Tecumseh design and engineering: STUPID

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mower didn't run when I got it. I did everything I could to the carb w/o removing it.

Once reassembled, it ran great the one time I mowed with it, other than shutting down briefly once or twice for unknown reasons.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the white smoke.

comments?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts