My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 445 runs rough when the temp outside is cold. This seems different then all the threads I've searched where folks report the engine runs rough when cold, but is ok when the engine warms up. All winter long my 445 will run rough, and in fact "makes oil" I'm assuming from the excess fuel not being burned while running rough. Doesn't "make oil" all spring/summer/fall when used for mowing duty. During the winter, I can bring it in the heated garage while running, and it clears up. Drive it back outside and it starts running rough again. The colder it is, the rougher it runs.

Is there a way to test the air intake temp sensor? Any other ideas of what could be going on? I'd rather not start changing out parts just to see what happens as obviously that's pretty expensive.

Thank you for any help anyone can offer....

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,110 Posts
JD dealer so be able to plug into the EFI controller and see what is going on. Sadly the computers and software are not available except to dealers/service departments. But a sensor or pressure regulator is most likely the cause of the rough running in cold weather.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Get a quote from dealer to check it out. Then, consider the cost of all the parts that are part of the circuit. Worst case you end up with a pile of good parts. It looks like a sensor but it could be the gizmo (computer) that receives the data is defective. Best of educated guesses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It could be a few things. I'd go with a IAT sensor or it could be a dirty fuel injector. The warm weather will mask the dirty fuel injector because the fuel atomizes better is warmer air. I'd start with the fuel injector. Pull it out and run it in a mason jar and see if it has a nice even spray pattern. If it's got a good pattern then put a IAT sensor in it. Apparently the Service manual has a troubleshooting chart that's methodical so that could be helpful if it's not the obvious items.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts