My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. New member to the forum but I've been lurking for a few weeks. I've been doing a lot of research into different mowers, admittedly being pretty disappointed with all of the new models of tractors build quality.

I've been scouring craigslist to find different mowers and became pretty impressed with the Simplicity brand and their seemingly good quality and performance that lasts quite a while.

I've found a 2001 Broadmoor with 439 hours, 44" deck, 16hp briggs. Based on that information, I believe it to me the 16HV model, so I think it has the k57 hydrostatic transmission. The fellow that's selling it has given the following information:

I just had it serviced, it has the following new parts- battery, spark plugs, air filter, oil and filter, blades and overall inspection by the Simplicity dealer. It is ready to mow, only reason for selling is I upgraded to a newer mower.
And judging by the pictures it seems like it has been taken care of and has only minor scrapes and scuffs from it's 15 years.

He's asking $750 OBO. How concerned should I be with the 440 hours? Would I be better of trying to find a different one that's either less hours or cheaper? Any suggestion on what I could counter offer on his $750? Again, I've only just been introduced into the Simplicity brand and don't know a lot about them.

It's also not out of the question that I can buy a NEW mower, but it would be a Regent. If I get a new mower I cannot build my shed this summer :)

Thanks !

Attachments

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Find out the manufacturer number of the tractor and I can give you more details and the years it was manufactured. For one, the engine does not look original. These tractors had Brigg's premium engine, the Vanguard, and what is pictured looks like an Intek.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Find out the manufacturer number of the tractor and I can give you more details and the years it was manufactured. For one, the engine does not look original. These tractors had Brigg's premium engine, the Vanguard, and what is pictured looks like an Intek.
Guy got me some pictures. Is this what you were looking for? Let me know what you find out :) Thanks!

Attachments

· Tractor Nerd
3,241 Posts
Looks like a intek. First two digits of the "code" on a briggs is the year.

This is what 97 broadmoor engine usually looks like. I don't recall intek's in a broadmoor but maybe that changed over the years.

-After looking up the manufacturer 1693817 label you posted. I came up with Broadmoor, 16VHP V-Twin Hydro. So I would say it is the original engine, I guess some did come with a intek briggs engine. Simplicity 1693817 - Broadmoor, 16VHP V-Twin Hydro Parts Diagrams

Would I be afraid to buy one with 440 hours?, Nope. Should go a long time yet if it's been maintained. Check things like steering, the deck condition. Forward and reverse. If all seems tight, it's a good buy.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Justy is right. I just looked it up and there were 6 different engines available on a Broadmoor in 2001, one of which was the 405777 intek. The 1693817 is listed for years 2000-2002.

· Registered
28 Posts
I'd go for it! See if you can find out if it's 440 hard or easy hours, but either way it's not a lot of hours and for $750 it's a deal. My '95 must've had 1,000+ hours and the rear end and chassis were still going strong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.