My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up a near perfect 10550 today. Included the rear bag and black chute. by the look of the blade and overall condition it has very little hours on it.

I didn't know the personal pace went back so far. When the guy called me I thought it was one of the last of the 2 stroke LB's from '04-'05. Well, condition is close to like new.

It is having a hard time running except in choke or very close to WOT. Any ideas? Cuts like a champ. Now I have my green shroud duraforce!

Photos to come.

Thanks to all members for allowing me to come to LB's anonymous! Wife thinks I'm crazy. At least they're not $40K plus musclecars like in the past!

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Congrats! I have a '98 green shroud DF 3 speed.

I've also noticed that it's addicting, not sure that I understand why or how, but that green does something to some people's brain! lol!

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
Give the carb a real good cleaning. That may be all it needs and maybe a new plug and fresh fuel. 10550 replaced the 3 speed 10525 which was only made for 3 years. I have one but have only used it a couple times. With so many other mowers and options it just has a high number on the waiting list.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Give the carb a real good cleaning. That may be all it needs and maybe a new plug and fresh fuel. 10550 replaced the 3 speed 10525 which was only made for 3 years. I have one but have only used it a couple times. With so many other mowers and options it just has a high number on the waiting list.
Thanks FordTech. I was going to clean the plug first, then attack the carb. I am going to put about 50cc's of Seafoam in the tank to stabilize and clean the carb before I take it apart. Also need to check the filter.

What is a good sealer or primer to use on the bare aluminum. I want to stop the corrosion before it goes to far. This one has a small 1/2" chip on the front and some beginning around the deck plate area. since it's in such good shape, I want it to stay that way!

I'm not so keen on the Toro personal pace/LB Easystride, but this is a nice lawnmower. The easystride leaves me with the impression I'm using a bigbox store Toro!(ughh)

I have a strip of St. Augustine grass by my driveway about forty meters long by five meters wide that I maintain like a billard table. The cut from this 10550 is much smoother than my Honda HRM215, and my Honda cuts sharp. The Honda leaves a lot of straggler blades of grass which I think is because of the the Honda's vacuum effect. I don't know if it's because the LB has higher RPM's, the higher horsepower, lighter weight or a combination of all.

Im going to do some cleaning tomorrow and post photos. It looks really nice with the rear bag option installed. I just don't bag until I get the big oak leaf drop in the Spring. I have been very blessed and lucky to find it for such a low price! It was donated to a church thrift!

·
4,787 Posts
I paid 300 each used for both of mine a few years ago so I would say you got a bargain!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I paid 300 each used for both of mine a few years ago so I would say you got a bargain!

Wow, I guess I did then. What do you use to seal the bare aluminum? I was thinkin prime and paint, but is there a sealer I can hit the bare surface with before priming? Naval jelly maybe?

·
4,787 Posts
I personally just dont worry about it much. I sand it off and prime and touch up the paint as needed until it needs a whole paint job. Even a brand new paint job will start peeling before you know it. Too much acid and chemicals used on lawns to keep it away permanent. Washing and letting it dry after use before puttin away is helpful. Letting grass buildup with all that chemical stuck to it will eat it away faster.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took some photos after I cleaned it up. See below:

I am having an issue with the 10550:

It starts just fine after being primed, but after about thirty seconds to a minute or two it dies.

FordTech, you may know. The plug has a nice light brown color so the mix seems okay. I cleaned the tank this morning. Did the filter and shut off. Cleaned the filter element and re oiled. Havent dropped the carb yet.

Any help would be appreciated. I started mowing and cant finish. I dont want to have to get my Honda to rescue my LB!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Awesome find! I have 2 10550's, both 2002 models.

I love these mowers. The Dura Force and the Easy Stride self propel is just a great combination!:greendr:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, I've cleaned the carburetor and I still have the same problem. I decided to check the CD pack thinking it might be spark related.

Interestingly, the plug wire retainer at the pack was unhooked on one side. I removed it the retainer, and the plug wire came out. I inserted it once again, locked it in place and now it wont start at all. Is there any particular way it should go in?

Tomorrow, I'm going to take the new pack out of my other Duraforce and try it.

Any advice?

·
4,787 Posts
It could very well be the coil. They can act in all kinds of strange ways. Try the pack from your other mower like you said... darned good way to tell. If not maybe the cap vent but I would think it would take a lot more than a minute or two if it were that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It could very well be the coil. They can act in all kinds of strange ways. Try the pack from your other mower like you said... darned good way to tell. If not maybe the cap vent but I would think it would take a lot more than a minute or two if it were that.
Well, it's not the coil. Same issues. Sooo, it's got to be the carburetor. I couldn't get to the local dealer before noon. So I couldn't get the rebuild kit.

Symptoms: only starts with a prime. Will start with one prime and motor races, then dies. Sometimes, it will run for a little longer. After a few starts, pull the plug and it wet= flooding.

Could the float be bad? Sinking float=too much fuel= choked motor. I will research further this evening. Does anyone have the service manual for DuraForce carburetors?

I don't want to go the easy route and just buy a new carburetor. I wan t to fix this one!

What are the sugested jets everyone is putting in their DuraForce motors?

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Well, it's not the coil. Same issues. Sooo, it's got to be the carburetor. I couldn't get to the local dealer before noon. So I couldn't get the rebuild kit.

Symptoms: only starts with a prime. Will start with one prime and motor races, then dies. Sometimes, it will run for a little longer. After a few starts, pull the plug and it wet= flooding.

Could the float be bad? Sinking float=too much fuel= choked motor. I will research further this evening. Does anyone have the service manual for DuraForce carburetors?

I don't want to go the easy route and just buy a new carburetor. I wan t to fix this one!

What are the sugested jets everyone is putting in their DuraForce motors?

Thanks to all!
Any update on your mower? Hopefully it is running great!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any update on your mower? Hopefully it is running great!
I've gotten sidetracked with the Honda HR17. Since I have to wait until next week for the parts. I'll get working on the 10550.

I picked up the same model Thursday with a thrown rod for $20. PO's kids put regular gas in it. I moving the motor from a 10324 to it. So I may try the carburetor from the blown DuraForce.

I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I've gotten sidetracked with the Honda HR17. Since I have to wait until next week for the parts. I'll get working on the 10550.

I picked up the same model Thursday with a thrown rod for $20. PO's kids put regular gas in it. I moving the motor from a 10324 to it. So I may try the carburetor from the blown DuraForce.

I'll keep you updated!
Totally understand that! too much to do and so little time...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Great find!!! That's the cleanest 10550 I have ever seen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts