My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several Case and Ingersoll tractors over the years, but have never blown snow with anything smaller than a 3016, or a high wheeler. I am looking to find a small tractor to pretty much dedicate to snowblowing my drive and then down about 150 feet to my shed once in a while.

Will either the 222 or 224 work well enough to do this? Being somewhat close to lake Michigan, we get some pretty good snows, and sometimes pretty damp.

I realize the blower condition is essential, but I am wondering about the tractor's capability themselves?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If you already own a Case/Ingersoll, I would say put a 38" snowcaster on the 222 or 224. They will do a good job. If I didn't already have the tractor and the only intended use was going to be removing Lake Michigan effect snow, I would be looking for a 2-stage machine. JMO

:snowing:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Case introduced the 200 and 400 series in 1969 as a replacement for the older 100 series. When Ingersoll redesigned the two series in 1988 and brought out the 4 digit models in 1989, the 200 became the 3000 and the 400 became the 4000. The point is this. A 200 isn't smaller than a 3000 nor is a 400 smaller than a 4000.

On top of that, 200's and 3000's are no less capable than a 400 or 4000. They weigh almost the same in any given year and almost all the components used to build them are identical. The issue is ground clearance. Sure, a 200/3000 doesn't stand as tall, it's a wee bit narrower and the wheelbase is 2" shorter after 1979 but they will blow snow or plow your garden just like a 400/4000 will. So, if you believe your 3016 to be too large for your home, then buying a 200 won't solve that problem.

As far as snow blowing capabilities are concerned, just go on YouTube and do a search under "Case snowblower" or "Ingersoll snowblower" and see these guys wade through snow very quickly. It's all about properly setting up your tractor for this operation and knowing how to tune your snowcaster to get peak results. A 224 or 226 is quite capable of powering a 48" snowcaster and the 220 and 222's have no problems with the 38" snowcaster, even if the wings are added to widen it to 42".

Two-stage blowers are heavy, complicated and expensive. A single stage Case blower will often outperform two-stage blowers. You just have to understand that the single stage units work best when you stuff snow into them as fast as possible.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Castaway, I agree with your sumation of the C/I snowcasters but in heavy-wet snow the performance goes down with the single-stage design. I have a Casec L-84 rebuilt and upgraded that works very well and also own a 60" 2-stage. There is NO comparison or question which is the better performer, but that is JMHO. There is nothing I could do to my L-84 to make it perform better than it does ( which in most conditions is very good ). I have watched many video's on You-Tube and I must admit that a few of them simply amazed me. I still think they had some trick photography going on.... If you own a Case/Ingersoll tractor, you put a Case/Ingersoll snowcaster on it and get-er-done. If you own a Kubota, you put a Kubota 2-stage on it and get-er-done ....:thThumbsU

:crybaby::sorry1::fing32:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in the northern Mich snow belt where we get tons of lake effect. I have a 1992 3016 Ingersoll and for years used a 48 inch snowcaster. Worked well for the most part. However the banks on the side of my driveway would build up about 7 feet tall due to not being able to blow heavy wet snow too far. When auger bearing froze I replace the blower with a two stage Bercomac snowblower. This works very very well for my conditions just have to go at a slower ground speed

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
There's no question that a two-stage will fire snow further than a single stage will. One of the very best two-stage designs is the unit known affectionately as the Gravely Snow Cannon. However, as you say the Case snowcaster works well under most situations. One has to look at the layout of their property along with the types of snow they routinely receive and the total annual snowfall.

The Berco blower, made in Quebec, has a good reputation and is certainly a viable option for situations as you described.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 220 with a 38” blower (rebuilt it and now it uses the same bearings as the mower deck) on it and it is a tank. It handles the lake effect snow just south of Buffalo no problem.
Last winter I was doing my drive way plus 2 of my neighbors (little old ladies and a fellow that had a double hernia operation in January) and part of my yard for the dog. I found that with chains and weight I could over load the blower if I went to fast (full speed in low range) in deep snow (8 + inches) but if I kept my speed reasonable I had no problems. I did have to add drift cutter just to do the one neighbors drive because of the 2-3 foot drifts.

On a side note I have discovered that the case single stage snow caster is much more resilient to eating gravel then my 2 stage walk behind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts