My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was time for my 200hr. Hydro oil change with OEM filter 923-3014. Here's some pics of the metal dust that collected on the magnetic plug. Just metal powder so looks worse than it actually is. The Factory Hydo manual says 15w50 synthetic for an extended oil change interval so that's what I've been using in it.
The 1st time I changed the tranny oil the machine had 23 hrs on it so the oil change actually has about 180 hrs. on it. Should be good to go till I hit 400 hrs. which should be about this time next year. Hope she holds together like it has the 1st year of use. Blades are sharpened and the Cub has a fresh coat of Mequiars Fast Finish on it.
Have you all changed your Hydro transmission fluid lately? Also here is a pic of the oil requirements out of the Hydrostatic Transmission factory manual. Last pic is while I was changing the tranny oil, now time to put her back to work. My grass is growing so going to do the 1st mowing this year to the yard around the house.
Give me your thoughts.
Hope you have a great mowing season!
20200208_105219.jpg
20200208_105359.jpg
20200208_110233.jpg
20200208_111647.jpg
20200208_111723.jpg
20200208_111228.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Doesn't look bad Don. Did the oil look silvery at all like on the first oil change?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't look bad Don. Did the oil look silvery at all like on the first oil change?
Yes the oil did look like it had some metallic color to it even though it wasn't that dirty looking. It did look like it was time to change it though.
I forgot to say that it took 4.5 quarts of 15w50 with a the new filter. So that 5 quart jug did the trick with some left for next time around.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Yes the oil did look like it had some metallic color to it even though it wasn't that dirty looking. It did look like it was time to change it though.
I forgot to say that it took 4.5 quarts of 15w50 with a the new filter. So that 5 quart jug did the trick with some left for next time around.
It won't turn black like engine oil cuz there's no combustion soot. I bought a 2.5gal jug of 15w-40 Delo synthetic blend and put in my XT3. The 3240 has 5w-40 Rotella T6 in it. I think I had to add another gallon to the 3240 after getting all the hydraulics on it. Prolly holds 2.5 gallons now lol.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep no carbon soot so no black oil to have in a hydro. I use pennzoil platnium 10w30 in my Kohler with a Mobil1 102A filter

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like it's just starting here. This is a pic from a few minutes ago after I mowed. She's greening up nicely. Guess I need to fertilize it now. LOL
Last time I fertilized was early spring about March last year. I don't want it to get to carried away and grow faster than the Cub can mow it. Just feed it a little or ever 3 days or I'll be on the Cub and then I'd be looking at 500 to 600 hrs on the Cub by the end of the year. See why I put LED light bars on the front so I can mow at night and an ice chest holder I built. Yep the grass is coming on!!!
20200208_144227.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Looks like it's just starting here. This is a pic from a few minutes ago after I mowed. She's greening up nicely. Guess I need to fertilize it now. LOL
Last time I fertilized was early spring about March last year. I don't want it to get to carried away and grow faster than the Cub can mow it. Just feed it a little or ever 3 days or I'll be on the Cub and then I'd be looking at 500 to 600 hrs on the Cub by the end of the year. See why I put LED light bars on the front so I can mow at night and an ice chest holder I built. Yep the grass is coming on!!! View attachment 2445518
Looks nice Don. I'm not looking forward to mowing season just yet.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not either but I have no choice. LOL
Guess that's why I have a 60" fab deck on my XT3GSX. LOL I'm going to need it!!!

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I'm not either but I have no choice. LOL
Guess that's why I have a 60" fab deck on my XT3GSX. LOL I'm going to need it!!!
It's amazing how a little bigger deck can cut mowing time down. My 54" cut 30mins off my mowing time vs my old 48". Power steering prolly didn't hurt either

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went from a 54" to a 60" deck and it cuts the time down even a lot more. The bigger deck just makes me cut even more since I like mowing. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I went from a 54" to a 60" deck and it cuts the time down even a lot more. The bigger deck just makes me cut even more since I like mowing. LOL
I bet that 60" will reach under a lot of stuff as well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes Sir it helps mowing under my barb wire fence even better than my old 54" deck and around trees

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Guess no one else changes their Hydro oil.
Me and you duder. Everyone else is afraid to or doesn't want to spend the $$ on Cub's Gold plated oil.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WalMart $22 for 5 quart jug of Mobil1 15w50 and $20 for the Cub OEM hydrolic filter so $40 to 45. That is a little expensive I guess but my XT3GSX was a little over $7000 with 0% for 3 yrs so $45 not so bad. I did come with a 4 yr unlimited hr warranty. I did pay it off this month!!!
All mine now. YIPPEE
Took me 16 months to pay for it and it's the best riding lawnmower I've ever had.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts