My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just spent $20 on a Kemp Shredder Model S. Not a chipper but just a two wheeled two handled push around shredder/hammer mill. It has an unknown Briggs on it as it came missing the pull cord tin. I'm trying to identify the motor so I can find parts if needed. It also has a second drive pully that spins in the opposite direction. The intake valve is rusted in place and the carb is in dire need of a tear down. Gas tank has rust in it but nothing some CLR and lead shot won't clear up. The rest of the shredder is in good shapewhich is a good thing because I can find NO info on the model S other than a few random auction sites with one for sale. Worst comes to worst I can just throw a HF special on there and go.

The pics should explain the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just spent $20 on a Kemp Shredder Model S. Not a chipper but just a two wheeled two handled push around shredder/hammer mill. It has an unknown Briggs on it as it came missing the pull cord tin. I'm trying to identify the motor so I can find parts if needed. It also has a second drive pully that spins in the opposite direction. The intake valve is rusted in place and the carb is in dire need of a tear down. Gas tank has rust in it but nothing some CLR and lead shot won't clear up. The rest of the shredder is in good shapewhich is a good thing because I can find NO info on the model S other than a few random auction sites with one for sale. Worst comes to worst I can just throw a HF special on there and go.

The pics should explain the rest.
That motor looks to me like a 5hp Briggs. The second shaft (I believe driven off the cam) was for stuff like snowblowers that used it for reverse. Briggs made that motor for 50+ years and parts are very easy to find. Yours looks like a later model from the 90s with the newer style airbox. Good luck getting it going.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
196 Posts
It’s a 5hp flathead Briggs, the second output shaft run off of the cam, hence it runs in the opposite direction

1 - 3 of 3 Posts