My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just spent $20 on a Kemp Shredder Model S. Not a chipper but just a two wheeled two handled push around shredder/hammer mill. It has an unknown Briggs on it as it came missing the pull cord tin. I'm trying to identify the motor so I can find parts if needed. It also has a second drive pully that spins in the opposite direction. The intake valve is rusted in place and the carb is in dire need of a tear down. Gas tank has rust in it but nothing some CLR and lead shot won't clear up. The rest of the shredder is in good shapewhich is a good thing because I can find NO info on the model S other than a few random auction sites with one for sale. Worst comes to worst I can just throw a HF special on there and go.

The pics should explain the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just spent $20 on a Kemp Shredder Model S. Not a chipper but just a two wheeled two handled push around shredder/hammer mill. It has an unknown Briggs on it as it came missing the pull cord tin. I'm trying to identify the motor so I can find parts if needed. It also has a second drive pully that spins in the opposite direction. The intake valve is rusted in place and the carb is in dire need of a tear down. Gas tank has rust in it but nothing some CLR and lead shot won't clear up. The rest of the shredder is in good shapewhich is a good thing because I can find NO info on the model S other than a few random auction sites with one for sale. Worst comes to worst I can just throw a HF special on there and go.

The pics should explain the rest.
That motor looks to me like a 5hp Briggs. The second shaft (I believe driven off the cam) was for stuff like snowblowers that used it for reverse. Briggs made that motor for 50+ years and parts are very easy to find. Yours looks like a later model from the 90s with the newer style airbox. Good luck getting it going.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
347 Posts
It’s a 5hp flathead Briggs, the second output shaft run off of the cam, hence it runs in the opposite direction

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Shredder lives with a 6.5 HF special. Works great. Just have to find the time to let the motor run at .25 throttle for an entire tank of gas to break it in. I'll post pics later.

·
Craftsman GT fan
4 Posts
The Shredder lives with a 6.5 HF special. Works great. Just have to find the time to let the motor run at .25 throttle for an entire tank of gas to break it in. I'll post pics later.
Seeing a lot of motor replacements from Harbor Freight. That old Briggs and stratton 5 hp was always a pain because of the carb in the tank. Theat HF 6.5 will allow you to shred much more than the B&S ever would. I'll bet that will eat branches up to 2" with the new power.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. Not going to put anything over 1" in it. One I want it to last. Two dont want to jam it and burn the belt. And C Im mainly using it to mulch weeds for the start of a compost pile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts