My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

Okay, thanks to this forum and others I am refining my decision as to which rig to by.

For my purposes, I hesitate a little on the Regent because, to me, it has the entry level K46 tranny as well as a consumer grade ELS engine (which some have no problem with, others really despise). I'm not a motorhead so I can't begin to fathom whether or not people's opinion on the motor are warranted or not.

A step up from the Regent would be the X300. No, the deck is not as good (but it is FAR from bad/cheap), but I get a heavier gauge frame, a 4 year warranty, and that smooth running Kawa motor (which is generally viewed very favorably by most). After rebates and my trade-in, it will cost me just north of $550 to upgrade from the Regent to the X300.

A step up from the X300 would be the Broadmoor. The deck is superior, the Vanguard engine is comprable, and the tranny is a step up K57 (not a big step up though). The frame is also a bit heavier. After rebates and my trade-in, it will cost me just north of $1100 to upgrade from the Regent to the Broadmoor.

Now, if money were not object of course you get the Broadmoor. I have about .5 acres of grass to cut. I'd like to aerate (clay soil though). 95% of property has a very VERY light grade to it, 5% has a steep grade (I mow downhill on it - its very short and takes maybe 5 passes to mow). At some point I might pull a cart for mulch and some rocks (need to cover the ground under my deck w/ rocks).

Guys, where is the value here? Is the Regent just fine, is the $550 worth the upgrade to the Deere? Or am I silly for not spending the $1100. Mind you, I'm already in trouble w/ the wife for not buying the right thing in the first place ...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Them tough choices.. :thThumbsU

Everyone says nothing cuts like Simplicity (full floating deck with full rollers) so I'm not sure if Deere results in a better looking lawn than the "cheaper" Simplicity..
Ideally you might be able to try each one at your home, some dealers have loaners (certainly make sure there are no ergonomic issues with any at the dealer that extra may be well worthwhile everytime you sit on it..)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell me about it. I've been agonizing over this for too long - wifey is going to take the pan to the back of my head soon .....

Heck, if somebody would tell me that ELS engine in the Regent was decent I'd just buy the 20/38 Regent. That deck already gets me 10 inches more then I already have - I'm sure the difference would be big for me.

·
Registered
758 Posts
"Red" (a repair tech that often attempts to educate us about cheap box store mowers or bad manufacturing processes) gives the Regent a rather glowing mention:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpost.php?p=671261&postcount=20

I've never heard him complain about the recent Briggs ELS which makes me believe they are good, again
(My MIL had a bad air filter Intek on a Deere L120, so I know the bad. I also understand the Vanguard love, the only thing that still works flawlessly on my '98 MTD.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a regent 20/44 and overall i like the mower, though if i could do it again i would probably get the broadmoor. The broadmoor had the vanguard commercial grade motor, and looked extremely heavy duty, but i got a small lot and it would have been overkill..(but it looks really cool) :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Red" (a repair tech that often attempts to educate us about cheap box store mowers or bad manufacturing processes) gives the Regent a rather glowing mention:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpost.php?p=671261&postcount=20

I've never heard him complain about the recent Briggs ELS which makes me believe they are good, again
(My MIL had a bad air filter Intek on a Deere L120, so I know the bad. I also understand the Vanguard love, the only thing that still works flawlessly on my '98 MTD.)
Thanks for pointing me to this post - gives me peace of mind. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a regent 20/44 and overall i like the mower, though if i could do it again i would probably get the broadmoor. The broadmoor had the vanguard commercial grade motor, and looked extremely heavy duty, but i got a small lot and it would have been overkill..(but it looks really cool) :)
How big is your lot? I've got maybe .5 acres, mostly flat. I DO have a very steep area, but its also very small and I can cut it in maybe 6 passes.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i got between a 1/2 and 3/4, i say this as my buddy has 3/4 and mines not as big, but im alot bigger than 1/2 acre lots ive seen.... kind of hard to explain. I have a slight rise in front but mostly flat.... mow it all in less than an hour. Regent does fine.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Where do you go to get Regency parts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts