My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm hoping this has happened to somebody with a clue before and they can help or give the links i cant find on google.

5 year old Chinese tractor 400 hours no problems with the clutch before.
The linkage was adjusted 4 months ago @400 hour service just before Spring.

I only fix things that break so I'm not much of a mechanic, and ive never seen this before.

Parked the tractor 4 days ago, started it up yesterday, no 1st stage clutch anymore.
engine running, nothing happens, can select/change gears without even touching the clutch pedal, 4WD, reverse shuttle. pedal in, pedal out, no difference.
The only thing is when i put it in medium range the tractor jumps a bit like its going to grind gears or engage.

second stage clutch still works and gets the PTO turning

there was no bang or pop the other day when i parked, no grinding when i started up yesterday.
there hasn't been any fading on the clutch leading up to this.

I've maxd the linkage out so there's no free play at all on the pedal, but its like the thrust race just stops before it hits the plate. or its jammed on? and the pedal isnt doing anything. Not sure how it all works yet.

The only other thing i can say is, when i push the clutch its like it feels like there isnt as much pressure on the pedal for stage one, but i might be imagining it.

hope somebody can help or suggest what to look at/into.

Trey

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Trey65,
Your description is pretty complete, therefor you have eliminated most of the possibilities.
Because you can push down and work the PTO clutch, you eliminated the linkage and the throw out bearing. The adjustment should go the other way, noticeable free play to make sure the throwout bearing isn't holding the pressure plate in the released position. But assuming you tightened it up After it wouldn't work, that's unlikely.
The most likely answer is a failure of the drive clutch pressure plate. Don't know if it is a diaphragm or lever arm styles, so the reason for the failure can't be sure at this time. It is putting no pressure on the drive clutch so it isn't engaging. The only other reasonable possibility is if the center broke out of the drive clutch plate. However the pedal would feel normal in that case.
Time to split the tractor and have a look. When you get it apart, have it rebuilt/repaired by a Good clutch shop. I doubt the dealer will be any help (except selling you a new one But maybe if it is a chronic problem he might offer you some kind of discount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jsdesign for the prompt reply and the bad news.

I was kind of hoping this was like Microsoft help and you'd say push these two buttons on the keyboard at the same time and that should fix it. or there's a secret access view port in the clutch chamber where you can stick a camera in and see what's happening without pulling the tractor apart.

Santa is coming soon, so I haven't got time to do anything major about it now.

Thanks again for your advice and Merry Xmas to all.

Trey

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
You didn't say what brand/model your tractor is!---It could help someone here to try to help you.---Just a wild idea, but are you sure MICE/VOLES didn't fill the clutch with beds???? LOL!!! ( I have a Ford pickup with that problem!!! YUP killed that clutch for good!!!! ) thanks; sonny

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your interest sonny.

I'm still using the fingers crossed method, its happened with other parts of the tractor.
I havent tried starting it up since before xmas but it is not impossible that it will just work fine if I go start it up now, "fingers crossed".

The tractor is sold in Australia as "Agrison" my mechanic told me its a copy of a Fiat, but im not sure if that's just the engine or the whole tractor he was referring to. I wasn't that interested, i just wanted my 10 hour service done so i could go play with it.

45hp Agrison, 45hp ultra g3 cabin, agrison, farm tractor, Tractor for sale melbourne , tractor for sale, tractors australia, buy tractor

They dont sell my model anymore but its this same one. except mine doesnt have the enclosed cabin and was only 3/4s the price.

At my speed it would take me days to pull the tractor in half, never having done it before, so its not something im looking forward to. but something will happen one day.

Thanks again for your input sonny. No its 99.9% not mice, its just pure 100% Chinese craftsmanship.

Trey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your interest sonny.

I'm still using the fingers crossed method, its happened with other parts of the tractor.
I havent tried starting it up since before xmas but it is not impossible that it will just work fine if I go start it up now, "fingers crossed".

The tractor is sold in Australia as "Agrison" my mechanic told me its a copy of a Fiat, but im not sure if that's just the engine or the whole tractor he was referring to. I wasn't that interested, i just wanted my 10 hour service done so i could go play with it.

45hp Agrison, 45hp ultra g3 cabin, agrison, farm tractor, Tractor for sale melbourne , tractor for sale, tractors australia, buy tractor

They dont sell my model anymore but its this same one. except mine doesnt have the enclosed cabin and was only 3/4s the price.

At my speed it would take me days to pull the tractor in half, never having done it before, so its not something im looking forward to. but something will happen one day.

Thanks again for your input sonny. No its 99.9% not mice, its just pure 100% Chinese craftsmanship.

Trey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Trey. Could you please let me know how you resolved this clutch problem. I have a 50hp Agrison with the same problem. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts