My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,240 Posts
Was wondering how often you Gravely owners grease your mower deck? Mine has a 60 inch floating deck and it has a lot of Grease fittings on it! Do you grease it before every use or otherwise? Am mowing 1 acre. Also what wt oil are you using in the winter. Thanks for the input!:tango_face_smile::tango_face_smile:
if ur mow 1 acre I would say to grease the deck every time before u mow..

on the oil it depends on the engine.. the Kohler Commands use 10 W 30 oil.. the cast iron Kohlers use straight 30 weight.. if it a B & S engine use straight 30 weight.. the Commands & the V twins PRO' have HYD lifters..

·
Registered
642 Posts
Here is a good read on tapered roller bearings and pre-loading them. I didn't read the whole thing, but I did read they say the ideal setting is zero clearance for the bearings upon assembly. Some pre-load can be applied if your application requires it, but it must be kept to a minimum. So a critical application like rearend gears in a car or the steering box, can have some pre-load. From what I am reading, a mower deck would not be a very critical application, and for the best bearing life, a near zero clearance in the bearings would be the best.

https://www.timken.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/5556_Bearing-Setting-Brochure-1.pdf

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Yes, they are trailer/wheel bearings, but they are not "preloaded" in this application. If the shaft/housing relationship is not correct, they will fail prematurely.

It does pay to invest in new shafts for these hubs if needed.

In my improvement thread I go over the details of my rebuild, and how I created a hybrid spindle assembly that has worked out well. I have rubber seals on the bottom, and the metal labyrinth seals on the top.

Starting on page 34, you can read about my rebuild here:

https://www.mytractorforum.com/24-gravely/204196-latest-16g-improvements.html

Not sure if yours are exactly the same, but it is the same design principle on your deck. The spindle shafts on the 40"/50" decks went thru some design evolution and the newest version is better.

Same may be true for yours as well.

Sheldon
Your spindles look exactly the same as mine. I wouldn't mind just putting all new parts into it, but, that gets expensive in a hurry, and is a major undertaking on the 72" deck. I just don't have the scratch for that kind of behavior. :) (much as I would love to.)

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Your spindles look exactly the same as mine. I wouldn't mind just putting all new parts into it, but, that gets expensive in a hurry, and is a major undertaking on the 72" deck. I just don't have the scratch for that kind of behavior. :) (much as I would love to.)
Well, yes, the spindle shafts cost about $68.00 each.

But how long will it take to equal that in replacement bearings every few years? And your time and effort?

Again, my deck was bought new and went over 500 hours/14 years before needing the spindles overhauled.

If we assume the overhaul will last 14 years, lets call the shaft and bearings $100 per spindle, divided by 14 years = $7.14 per year per spindle.

I checked some prices on genuine Timken #14 sets, about $15 each or $30 per spindle - I'm sure there are cheaper brands but.......

If you have to replace them every two or three years, that is 5 replacements x $30 = $150 per spindle, divided by 14 years = $10.71 per year per spindle.
I think I will save both my money and my valuable time over the long run.......

Changing the shaft is no more work then changing just the bearings?

The bearings, races and shafts are the only needed parts? The metal seals do not go bad unless the thing really blows up?

When you are changing these bearings are you changing the race? If not, you are asking for them to fail early.

Sheldon

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Well, yes, the spindle shafts cost about $68.00 each.

But how long will it take to equal that in replacement bearings every few years? And your time and effort?

Again, my deck was bought new and went over 500 hours/14 years before needing the spindles overhauled.

If we assume the overhaul will last 14 years, lets call the shaft and bearings $100 per spindle, divided by 14 years = $7.14 per year per spindle.

I checked some prices on genuine Timken #14 sets, about $15 each or $30 per spindle - I'm sure there are cheaper brands but.......

If you have to replace them every two or three years, that is 5 replacements x $30 = $150 per spindle, divided by 14 years = $10.71 per year per spindle.
I think I will save both my money and my valuable time over the long run.......

Changing the shaft is no more work then changing just the bearings?

The bearings, races and shafts are the only needed parts? The metal seals do not go bad unless the thing really blows up?

When you are changing these bearings are you changing the race? If not, you are asking for them to fail early.

Sheldon
Yes, the race gets changed as well. Would be pointless to do it any other way. :)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
WH401, what would you recommend for the gearbox?
Redgravely, I grease my deck whenever I scrape the underside of the deck to remove the grass build up. My theory is that if there is grass build up, I’ve beeen in wetish grass. And yes the grease fittings are on the underside of the deck.
I prefer to use 00 grease, which is a thinner consistency of grease, but not as thin as oil. I only use it though if the bottom seal is in good shape, otherwise the grease can go right past the seal.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts