My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 questions draft control and tractor use in Japan

Hello,
I keep coming across questions concerning draft control or the lack of it on Yanmar Tractors due to the single use of tractors in Japan -rototilling. Do the draft controls and draft differ than on the typical American tractor? Any opinions on quality differences between smaller Yanmars and larger. Are big, little tractors used differently in Japan? I'm giving some thought to purchasing a 3220D.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Mike,

Sorry, this post just got passed me and it wasn't until this a.m. that I noticed it!

The draft controls on both small and large Yanmar series tractors often work the same as they 'float' and typically do not have power down on their 3PH.

The two, main uses in Japan are the rice farming and the dairy industry. My understanding is the YM2000 series tractors were purpose built to handle both of these types of farming. The YM2000, although designed to handle rice farming, was also engineered with over sized and very strong bull gears to handle both farming duties. I hope this helps explain what you originally asked.

Mark

·
Registered
806 Posts
I know not all Yanmars have draft control. The ones with draft control have the second lever to the left of the raise/lower lever. I had a Ford Jubilee with a draft control lever, never figured out how to properly use it. I now have a 2002d Yanmar and the only thing I use the draft control lever for is to regulate my drop speed. There is a linkage on the back of the Yanmars for a cable from a tiller to hook up to that tells the lift to go up or down. There are pictures of it posted by someone on one of these forums. I don't believe the Yanmars draft function works without being hooked up that way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
I dont know much abour draft control. Was thinking of using a 1 bottom plow and read that the draft control adjust on its own to keep plow at same depth or same degree of resistance. I could be all wrong -no actual experience with plowing or draft control
Mike

·
Registered
806 Posts
I believe your thinking is right as far as the american tractor draft control, some of them did respond to resistance. I don't believe my Yanmar cares about resistance. Only about that linkage moving on the back. I think that is all it responds to. Here is a picture (maybe) of a correct hookup. If you are sharp enough to figure it out you might adapt it to a plow. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/yanmar/141122-lever-left-float-lever.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts