My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
200+ Posts!!!!
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 old mowers that still run well. One is a 1977 Jacobsen with a non-original Briggs and Stratton 3 horse. I was given the mower by someone I know and got it running. It had a throttle problem where it would not hold a speed. It sped up and immediately started to slow down again. After fixing that, I used it to test spark plugs and found that this rusty old one worked best in it. The other one is a Craftsman from the 80's. I call it "old oil burner" because that is exactly what it does. It burns oil, mostly when first started, or when put under heavy load. It has mismatched wheels because they have broken over the years. I use this one the most because the 4.5 horse engine has more power to it than the 3 horse one. Also, a friend of mine has 2 original lawn-boy commercial mowers that still work.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You bragging or complaining? Jacobsen is a good make. 80s Craftsman, not so much, but a runner is a runner. Would your friend sell you one of the LB commercials? :D

·
200+ Posts!!!!
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not trying to brag, and I am definitely NOT complaining. Those mowers are awesome. The Jacobsen is a twin-blade mulcher dated 1977. The craftsman is a tank. It recently went through the toughest job on the property and succeeded. The ditch in front of the house. Grass that hadn't been mowed for 3-4 months and leaves that fell from the trees nearby... and the thing is a mulcher mower. But you just can't kill the thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts