My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of rebuilding my old murray 18 twin.I want to run dual exhaust up the sides of the bonnet.what do most of you guys use for pipe,I would like to make it look like real exhaust.
the other question is it will start if I cross out the solenoid.Would it just be the keyswitch bad?

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Reall quick on this answer, but a member here, I believe, made twin stacks out of plumbing sink trap pipe. The chromed brass type, which were called J bends or something like that. Someone else might be along that has a good idea where that thread is at. They actually looked pretty nice.

As far as the solenoid, just get a new solenoid. Unless the key switch isn't putting 12volts to the small connector when the key is turned to start. Most of the time the solenoid is at fault with what you describe.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I am in the process of rebuilding my old murray 18 twin.I want to run dual exhaust up the sides of the bonnet.what do most of you guys use for pipe,I would like to make it look like real exhaust.
the other question is it will start if I cross out the solenoid.Would it just be the keyswitch bad?
It seems most guys use galvanized threaded plumbing pipes. The one thing I know for sure is that it is important to support the stacks with a bracket.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Yea, and put a heat shield in behind the stack if it is close to plastic, such as a hood nose piece like the mid to late ninety's, and maybe the decal on the side of the hood. It might wrinkle that from heat.

If I ever do a custom exhaust, I'm kinda thinking of a Street header like they used on the street rods, only with a muffler inline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts