My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2 more Snappers off Craigslist this weekend. One of them is a 30 and I wanted another deck (see welding post) for the mower I am using. I called the guy, ask about the deck and he said it was in good shape. When I got to his house I found that the deck was not much better than the one I have. I was going to pass on them but since neither the 8hp or the 11hp briggs engines was locked up I made him a lower offer and he took it. I now have a 2680S and a 3011X5S both pretty rough in the garage. The deck on the 26 is past saving so I'll probably just rob the motor of it. It would be a lot of work and some money to put these mowers back into service and even then they don't bring much money around here.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a little disappointment today. I been working on the 11hp the last couple of days when I wanted some outside time. I fixed the pull rope and replaced the starter gear, cleaned out the carb and replaced a bad float. Today I ran cables from a car battery and hit the starter button. It turned for a second then stopped with a thud. I took the plug out and used a dowel rod to see if the piston was moving when I turn the flywheel and it is not. I think it may be equipped with a two piece rod. I took it off the mower and drained the oil mixed with gas out of it, should have done that first. O well guess I should have checked it out a little closer before buying.
Cannon51

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about the damaged engine. What do you plan to do with it now?

MU
Probably nothing right now. I'll take the motor apart later a see if it can be fixed or use parts of it on my JD 111H that I want to get going. Most of the frame parts look like they will work on the 3081S I'm using. Never hurts to have a doner or two around/
Cannon51

Attachments

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
I have a whole pile of parts for those things laying around. Keep it around. I bet you'll find an engine for it somewhere cheap. The extra tough's are sweet little machines. They sure take my abuse anyway! Most of the parts should interchange with your older 30 so you aren't really out anything.

T.C.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think the ball bearing vs bushing is that big a deal. I've had my 1984 model (not X) since 1995 and I have changed the bushing once. You have to remove that side to change the axle boots every few years anyway. If the bushing looks worn replace it while it's apart. JMHO
Cannon

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The fenders are different,and one spacer on the drivers l/h side,I have changed my L/h side and am accumulating parts to re-do the diff when I change the R/H new fenders run $22 to $28,I just bought a R/H bearing on e-bay for $20.If you change the L/h bushing in time ,that's the easiest but if you have to buy a fender anyway?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts