My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One is a c20cpr and the other is the rare 6253. Got these a couple weeks back from a lady who bought a house and some mowers were left behind. She sent me pictures of the c20 and a picture of a tan deck with something covering the engine. I figured it was a 60s regular tan model(which are rare anyway) but i saw orange! I wasnt sure if it was redecked, a c engine or a d engine until i got there. Once i got there i found it was the rare d engine 6253! Just a little info about the 6253, the 6252 came with a C engine and was made from the mid 60s until 71 ish. In 72 they made the 6253 which has the d series engine, tank deck and metal tank. I am almost positive that this is the ONLY tan deck d series commercial they made... I plan to restore both and replace the needed parts on both machines. The C20 will most likely be sold because i am limited on room and have to get rid of a bunch of machines/parts. The c20cpr is also a pretty interesting and rare machine as well. It has the 4 square deck with a toggle on the handle, and is original. Both look rough but are good machines. I got the 6253 to fire after putting a flywheel cup on it to test it out.... Years ago i wanted to buy UHF(dougs) 6253 on ebay but didnt win it. Im pretty sure Fordtech is the only other person with a 6253 that i know of.. Pictures....

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
Very nice very nice !!!!!!:trink40:

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
Good thing you bought the new handles. Congrats on the 6253

What does the label say on the rear.. I can only read commercial.. 21 Hevi Duti?

Also interesting.. white screen like all of mine.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I love the Linebacker face guard ....i mean did they think commercial guys do with them jamb them under fence boards ?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Im glad i finally got one of these in my hands.

It may be awhile before you see it restored as i have a bunch of mowers/projects to sell first....

Fordtech.. Im pretty sure it says Commercial and then under it 21 Hevi-Duty. This makes my 3rd Hevi Duty Commercial.

Oh yea, and about that handle... These dont use orange handle grips. They use blue grips... So i dont plan to use one of the orange ones on the this..

·
4,787 Posts
Yeah, I saw that, but mine will be orange anyway. Im just a damned rebel. My deck will be tan instead of beige too. :p

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Nice finds. Particularly on the 6253! I thought perhaps it had the wrong tank on it, but according to the parts diagram, it's the correct metal tank..

I was thinking of the 6252 ('66-'71) with the more squared-off edges on the rectangular metal tank. Like the 6251 but with the same deck as yours (6253) rather than the more unique one-off (so it seems) deck.

The 6250 also has a really unique deck. My 6277 4-square is a D and tan deck as was the 6278.

I'm considering building a couple of mine into a single 6252 clone http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=139510

·
4,787 Posts
There were a lot of commercial changes in the 70s. 6252 was a C engined mower with the same deck, and 6254 was a blend of the later deck of 6255 and the older deck of the 6253 and prior. 6253 and up had the D476. The D476 engines were all 32:1 fuel mix mowers too.

I have yet to date seen ANYONE post a 6254 find although they were made for 2 years and the 6253 only one.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,126 Posts
I was just looking at the commercials and I just noticed that the first commercial LB made was a 6250 and it's colors were gray and red, appears that it was the only gray ever used by lawnboy. Maybe they thought that it was too boring of a color?

·
4,787 Posts
I was just looking at the commercials and I just noticed that the first commercial LB made was a 6250 and it's colors were gray and red, appears that it was the only gray ever used by lawnboy. Maybe they thought that it was too boring of a color?
Well on a personal note, I think Sand Beige is too.. well especially some of the poor reproduction colors that I have seen to try to match it.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive seen one 6252 in person. Guy lives somewhat near me too... Cool mower as well.

I love the looks of the bermuda sand color with the orange personally.

Coop i say keep that 65 mower original, but that is just me..

FT when i picked the mower up, i was very glad to see a white flywheel cover. The 3 6253's ive seen(yours,dougs,and mine) 2 of them had white covers the other had a green. Im willing to bet this came in white color... I need to find a black pull handle for this....

·
4,787 Posts
I have several new white ones, but no black

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a few new white d series pull handles as well, just none of these black ones. Hopefully one will pop up somewhere..

Your air filter is orange plastic right?

·
4,787 Posts
Yes, all of them.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
very nice!
nother successful rescue from the smelting pot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts