My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toro 20684 that I'm going to be restoring. I'm a 4 cycle guy and this is my first 2 cycle lawn mower. If the engine runs fine with good compression, is it worth my time to tear it down? As far as I can see, the Suzuki doesn't even have a reed plate to service.

On another note, has anyone ever powder coated an aluminum deck?

·
5,862 Posts
Hi! I have not rebuilt an engine but if it runs well and the compression checks good I would clean the engine up cosmetically and run it until it needs work. If the compression is low then a rebuild may be in order. And I am pretty sure there have been numerous threads regarding powdercoating an aluminum deck. I guess it all depends what you want to spend and what you want to end up with. For about $15.00 you can buy a spray can of primer and a couple of cans of spray paint and get a really nice finish, with or without a clear coat. Also easy to touch up along the sides if this is a mower you are going to use. Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
I agree with Bill, if it runs good then leave the engine as is. Regarding the powdercoating, yes I have had most of my decks powdercoated and they have been made of either magnesium or aluminum, it is super durable, but comes at a cost. Probably will cost 75 to 100 bucks to get it media blasted and coated. In my opinion if you plan on keeping the mower it probably will pay for itself over the long haul. If you are flipping it, then it's way too costly.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I agree with Nazi and 77. I have never torn into a motor that runs and has good compression. Clean it up really well and take good care of it. It should last you quite a few years before you have to do any major rebuilds.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Congrats on the 2-stroke. When you get this going, you'll change from a Suzuki 4-stroke fan to an all-round Suzuki fan. :trink39: I wouldn't mess with the motor if the compression is good. The Suzuki 2-stroke is super tough, probably even moreso than the 4-stroke Suzuki. The carb and coil are the usual problems.

I've repainted 5 lawnmower decks, all spray bombs. I now have a spray gun but haven't tried it yet. But seeing how much work repainting is and how weak the finish can be, I'll try powdercoating next time. Er wait, I said I wouldn't buy any more mowers. :hide:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Congrats on the 2-stroke. When you get this going, you'll change from a Suzuki 4-stroke fan to an all-round Suzuki fan. :trink39: I wouldn't mess with the motor if the compression is good. The Suzuki 2-stroke is super tough, probably even moreso than the 4-stroke Suzuki. The carb and coil are the usual problems.

I've repainted 5 lawnmower decks, all spray bombs. I now have a spray gun but haven't tried it yet. But seeing how much work repainting is and how weak the finish can be, I'll try powdercoating next time. Er wait, I said I wouldn't buy any more mowers. :hide:
I said that I wouldn't do anymore for a while, but ended up buying a spray gun too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts