My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the place to get help in identifying my hole digger? I have pictures and some a partial name and some numbers. It' around a '75 to '80 year model I think. If this is the place I will post details.
Thanks, Marvin

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Yes, post away! We love pictures! If you need help

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, here goes. I got the hole digger from my Uncle in 1983 and at the time it looked maybe 5-8 years old. It worked fine but I left it in storage from '85 to present. Now the piston is frozen/won't move. I need to tear apart and rebuild but don't know where to get info on it.
Here is the info I have:
1 cylindar 2 cycle
there appears to be a partial name plate sticker on the cowl which reads
C or G X X X MET. XXX= 1 ,2 0r3, unknown letters or spaces.
There is a tag on the engine held in place by a screw which reads:
1 or T-633 or G33-03C on top line.
4828503 on bottom line.
Here are some Pictures. any help will be appreciated.
Marvin

Spark Plug End

Carb End

Side 1

Side 2

Partially Unreadable Decal

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I am really unsure but it looks a lot like a Montgomery Ward unit a friend had years ago. Color is right and I remember the handlebars. Been a long time. His blew up and went to the junkyard. Most of his equipment suffered the same fate so it probably wasn't the machines fault.

Mike

·
Registered
353 Posts
The engine looks like some model of Tecumseh/Lawson. Monkey Wards sold a lot of em.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The engine looks like some model of Tecumseh/Lawson. Monkey Wards sold a lot of em.
I've punched in all the numbers I have looking for a manual with no success. I guess I could rebuild it without a manual but then finding parts would be a real problem.
Anyone have any Ideas what I would need besides rings and carb kit?
Thanks, Marvin

PS, I'll search Tecumseh/Lawson.

PPS------------No luck in the search

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Yup,looks to me like an old Tecumseh/Lauson or maybe a Power-Products engine..I had two push mowers with Power-Products 2 strokes that looked very similar--they were made in the late 50's or 60's though..I think that auger is 30+ years old from the looks of it...

·
Registered
353 Posts
You might want to ask in the walk behind mower forum. Some models of early Lawn Boys used those engines and the LB gurus might be able to steer you to the source of knowledge and parts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally took it apart after trying to locate information. It is in fact a Tecumseh but I can't ID the engine with the #'s I have. T633-03C and 4828503.
I have it disassembled except for splitting the case and removing the crank.
Cylinder wall is not scored, piston and rings look fine, crank and rod look OK (A little wear and side play). All electrical looks OK (I'll re-set the points and plug). Pull cord and starter mechanism work fine. The engine wouldn't turn over at first but PB Blaster in the cylinder did the trick.
Haven't gone into the carb yet but between the carb and intake side of cylinder is a plate with 4 reed valves. Two of the reeds are either missing or rusted. SEE PICTURES
I have searched the internet and can't find replacement reed plates . The # on my plate is 1026-03 on the carb side horizontal cross and on the vertical cross is 5 and a diamond with the letter S in the middle.
Anyone have any idea where I can get the replacement plate?
Now if all else fails I will remove the exixting reeds and cut new reeds from a feeler gauge blade the right thickness and rivet them back in. That is tedious work for these old eyes though.
Marvin
Carb Side

Engine Side

1 - 12 of 12 Posts