My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
A coulter is a knife or cutting wheel that looks like a pizza cutter. It cuts through the sod instead of ripping through it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It took me a few minutes of looking at that picture to figure out what was wrong. I grew up on a farm. I've been associated with agriculture all my life and I never knew until now that there was such a thing as a left handed plow. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I've seen tip over plows that had right hand bottoms on one side and left hand on the other but never a dedicated left hand plow. Very odd and I would guess a real collectors item. Thought the pictures had been reversed but the John Deere logo is not backwards. Like OaheX I've been around farm equipment all my life and had no idea such an animal existed.

That would be a real attention getter at shows and plow days. Super find.

Mike

Looked at that a bit more, seems it's not really an ancient plow from the early days. It's set up from the factory for a three point which puts it from about the 40's forward. Anyone have any idea when it was made?

I'm curious!

Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it was set up as a 3 point. It appears the draw bar was welded on after the fact.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts

If you need a lawn ornament...Paint it green an place it in the front yard...:D
But as an operational plow you have quite a bit of work ahead of you...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I don't think it was set up as a 3 point. It appears the draw bar was welded on after the fact.
It also appears that it was welded on parallel to the rear axle. A plow is supposed to sit at an angle to the rear axle and only be perpendicular to the ground when one rear tire is down in the rut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts