My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The belt that broke today had about 6 hours on it. No wear showing anywhere. I talked to a mechanic at JD and he said to check the washers and sleeves for wear under the tension bar. They looked okay. I checked the spindles and noticed that the left spindle only spins about half as long as the right spindle with similar torque. It's not harder to start spinning but is not nearly as free as the right spindle. Could this cause the problem? Any suggestions? It's an x300 with 80 hours on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got tired of seeing the zero in the reply column so I decided to reply to my own thread.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well it sounds like you have for the most part already....but start with the basics and work your way up. If you broke 2 belts in 6 hours something isn't right. Remove the deck and do a thorough cleaning and remove any debris. Use a good quality grease and grease the spindles to see if that helps the tighter spindle loosen up.

If its anything like my X340 it is bad about collecting debris under the safety covers. Mine threw the belt off the first time I used it because a stick got wedged in between the safety cover and belt. Luckily it didn't break the belt and I just loosened the tensioner and put it back on. If your running over a bunch of twigs ect then you might want to start picking them up first. I learned real quick they aren't a old school deere you can use as a bush hog:banghead3

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I got tired of seeing the zero in the reply column so I decided to reply to my own thread.
Why does no one seem to have patience these day?? Everything must be NOW...instant gratification.:banghead3

Don't ya just hate replying to someone after they start off the conversation like that...

Belt has to be rubbing somewhere...get down the ground and investigate for yourself......

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's an x300 with 80 hours on it.
Good morning and welcome to the forum:Welcome1:

If you still have this tractor under warantee, take it back to the dealer.

These tractors simply do not break two belts in 6 Hours.

Jerry

·
Registered
393 Posts
Why does no one seem to have patience these day?? Everything must be NOW...instant gratification.:banghead3

Don't ya just hate replying to someone after they start off the conversation like that...

Belt has to be rubbing somewhere...get down the ground and investigate for yourself......
Nah,,, it's Definitely you.

The guy bumped his own thread after waiting like 2 and a half hours. Most of the time people only browse the first couple 2-3 pages of the "New Posts". If your post slips off the first couple pages, a lot of times it will just slip through the cracks. And besides, even though this is not a chat room where people talk in real time, it's not much fun or entertaining to post a question and wait for it to be answered in it's own good time. Bumping a thread seriously increases the likely hood that someone that is interested in commenting will see it.

To be honest, I kind of find posts like yours to more distasteful, a bit rude and unnecessary. Really, all you offered new to the conversation was an insult.

OP. If you have THOROUGHLY checked your deck out, and you find nothing out of the ordinary, then in my opinion, it's time to seek the dealers help. Unless you are really good with a wrench, and you have a good understanding of how your equipment actually operates, the money spent with a dealer who should be both is well spent. But that's just my opinion. This is why I would not buy a Box Store Lawn Mower. Because you would be on your own. You have a dealer to lean on. Lean on him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah,,, it's Definitely you.

The guy bumped his own thread after waiting like 2 and a half hours. Most of the time people only browse the first couple 2-3 pages of the "New Posts". If your post slips off the first couple pages, a lot of times it will just slip through the cracks. And besides, even though this is not a chat room where people talk in real time, it's not much fun or entertaining to post a question and wait for it to be answered in it's own good time. Bumping a thread seriously increases the likely hood that someone that is interested in commenting will see it.

To be honest, I kind of find posts like yours to more distasteful, a bit rude and unnecessary. Really, all you offered new to the conversation was an insult.

OP. If you have THOROUGHLY checked your deck out, and you find nothing out of the ordinary, then in my opinion, it's time to seek the dealers help. Unless you are really good with a wrench, and you have a good understanding of how your equipment actually operates, the money spent with a dealer who should be both is well spent. But that's just my opinion. This is why I would not buy a Box Store Lawn Mower. Because you would be on your own. You have a dealer to lean on. Lean on him.
Thanks for pointing out that I really didn't want my thread to fall off of page one. I could have just said "bump". I am in a bit of a bind and really thought I might get a quick helpful idea or two. The Deere mechanic said they have a three week backlog on repairs, I just sold my backup mower, live 20 miles from the Deere dealer, just spent $52 on a new belt two weeks ago, and with a half mowed lawn I have no other choice but to go buy another belt to finish the lawn. Also, my wife is questioning my decision to buy the x300 after going 12 years of trouble free mowing with my previous Sears mower! :drunkie: I realize that problems such as this are small potato's when compared to real problems in life but this is a JD forum. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it sounds like you have for the most part already....but start with the basics and work your way up. If you broke 2 belts in 6 hours something isn't right. Remove the deck and do a thorough cleaning and remove any debris. Use a good quality grease and grease the spindles to see if that helps the tighter spindle loosen up.

If its anything like my X340 it is bad about collecting debris under the safety covers. Mine threw the belt off the first time I used it because a stick got wedged in between the safety cover and belt. Luckily it didn't break the belt and I just loosened the tensioner and put it back on. If your running over a bunch of twigs ect then you might want to start picking them up first. I learned real quick they aren't a old school deere you can use as a bush hog:banghead3
Thanks JohnnyReb. In fact we just had a fairly good wind storm the other night and the ground was littered with twigs. I picked most of them up but certainly did drive over plenty of them as well. I just greased the spindles so I don't think that is the problem. I guess I'll just buy another belt and be more careful in the future.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I agree with the others advice they have given. You have a warranty and a dealer to back you up so take advantage of it. A 3 week backlog huh. I wonder if it would be possible to make an appointment without leaving mower there and haul it up there in 3 weeks? Might be worth asking about and you wouldn't have to do without until then. Even if you don't have anymore trouble still take it up there to get checked out and to keep your word.

I also agree that these mowers just don't break 2 belts in 6 hours. These are top quality lawn tractors. It has to be one of two things....user error or a defect. It's very possible you could have gotten twigs lodged under the belt cover and caused the belt to get hot and fail. But I would think if that were the case you would have noticed alot of Debris. You have removed the safety covers right??? When I removed mine I actually saw where the belt was pushed over enough by a stick to rub the cover. It melted the plastic because it got so hot. In my case it finally jumped the pulley instead of snapping the belt. If it hadn't I'm sure a bit more heat would habe caused the belt to break.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a matter of fact I did ask if I could get on a list and bring the mower in a day or two before they could look at it and they said they would do that. I am going to the dealer today to buy another belt and talk to the mechanic I spoke to on the phone. I am taking the broken belt with me to show him that there is no sign of wear on it at all. I intend on taking the mower in but I have no choice as to putting another belt on the thing. I hope to get two or more mowings in before they can look at the mower. I agree that user error or a defective part are the likely culprits. Odds are it's "user error".

·
Registered
268 Posts
NJDeere, I'm with you. You're not going to mow at 10:30pm, go to sleep and bump it in the morning. A lot of forums won't let you bump less than 24 hours, so consider that lucky. Singalo, thats not rude. It's polite to wait for an answer rather than demand one. Especially when you can't finish the job at that point anyway.

Are the belts just snapping, or are they heating up and failing? More investigation/information is needed before throwing parts at it. Let's TROUBLESHOOT, not just throw cash at the deck and hope it works. Are the ends where it snaps melted? Frayed? Were any tensioners replaced recently? Did you run over anything that would cause a malfunction leading to a build up of heat in a particular area? Not trying to be a dick, but you can't drop a thread in and be an *** about not getting an immediate response without giving us more to go on. My $0.02. :trink39:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NJDeere, I'm with you. You're not going to mow at 10:30pm, go to sleep and bump it in the morning. A lot of forums won't let you bump less than 24 hours, so consider that lucky. Singalo, thats not rude. It's polite to wait for an answer rather than demand one. Especially when you can't finish the job at that point anyway.

Are the belts just snapping, or are they heating up and failing? More investigation/information is needed before throwing parts at it. Let's TROUBLESHOOT, not just throw cash at the deck and hope it works. Are the ends where it snaps melted? Frayed? Were any tensioners replaced recently? Did you run over anything that would cause a malfunction leading to a build up of heat in a particular area? Not trying to be a dick, but you can't drop a thread in and be an *** about not getting an immediate response without giving us more to go on. My $0.02. :trink39:
I didn't "demand" an answer at all. I guess I was being a bit impatient. I don't understand how someone could get offended over a generic post that wasn't aimed at anyone. Perhaps you and njdeerefan should attend a sensitivity class together.

Anyway the belt just snapped when I engaged the PTO. No fraying, no melting of the belt at all.

·
JoaT,MoN
379 Posts
could be just an anomaly - first belt broke 'cuz it was old, second one broke 'cuz it was defective. Next one could last years, and you'll forget about this thread altogether :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could be just an anomaly - first belt broke 'cuz it was old, second one broke 'cuz it was defective. Next one could last years, and you'll forget about this thread altogether :D
Haha, that sounds good to me!:trink39:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have a 2008 X304, same deck as an X300. I have only had 1 problem with my deck. A couple of years ago, while mulching leaves, I smelled something burning. When I looked down I could see flames on the top of my deck. I jumped off of the tractor, pulled the burning leaves off of the deck, and found that the pivot bolt holding the tension arm had broken. The sparks created by the tensioner pulley spinning on the deck started the leaves on fire. I still have and use the original belt with 125 hrs on it. I guess my point is that nothing should burn up 2 belts in 6 hrs. Check all of your tensioner pulleys, and your spindles, and the belt routing. My belt has a tendency to drop off of the left spindle when removing or reinstalling the deck, that really makes it smoke!!

steve

·
Super Moderator
29,552 Posts
to be clear here, there is no rule requiring someone to wait X amount of time before bumping up a thread. it is common courtesy to wait until the next day, but hey sometimes folks are desperate and get over anxious.

there IS however a rule about being nice to other posters. the ones wanting to drag this down into a knucklefest are being warned right now, cool it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a 2008 X304, same deck as an X300. I have only had 1 problem with my deck. A couple of years ago, while mulching leaves, I smelled something burning. When I looked down I could see flames on the top of my deck. I jumped off of the tractor, pulled the burning leaves off of the deck, and found that the pivot bolt holding the tension arm had broken. The sparks created by the tensioner pulley spinning on the deck started the leaves on fire. I still have and use the original belt with 125 hrs on it. I guess my point is that nothing should burn up 2 belts in 6 hrs. Check all of your tensioner pulleys, and your spindles, and the belt routing. My belt has a tendency to drop off of the left spindle when removing or reinstalling the deck, that really makes it smoke!!

steve
Thanks for the input. Wow, a fire on the deck would definitely wake a guy up. Everything looks good on the deck but I did notice the left idler pulley is only shiny on the bottom half whereas the other pulleys have equal shininess on both sides. That pulley also is not freely spinning, it spins but not real free like the other tension pulley that is attached to the tension bar. I talked with the mechanic today and showed him the broken belt, he said to bring in the deck only and they would look at it when they could. That way the warranty would be in effect if I need a new idler pulley.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
to be clear here, there is no rule requiring someone to wait X amount of time before bumping up a thread. it is common courtesy to wait until the next day, but hey sometimes folks are desperate and get over anxious.

there IS however a rule about being nice to other posters. the ones wanting to drag this down into a knucklefest are being warned right now, cool it.
My apologies to all for bumping my thread too soon, I really didn't know it was discourteous to do so. I guess I can see where it might be taken as such. I will not do it again.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts