My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Take a look and tell me what I should do...
The tractor is a 2010 X540...

Problem number one I think is easy...the suitcase weights are either not compatible with the brush guard or they gave me the wrong ones? (How can this be???) Basically the rod that keeps the brush guard in place wont fit if the weights are installed. Take a look at this picture...

How hard is it to cut into the cast iron weight??? :banghead3

Problem number two is concerning the mounting of the 2 bucket kit to the back of the tractor with the Hitch-n-post. Basically the support for the bucket holder needs the factory hitch hole. One idea I came up with is to cut out a new hole right at the bend for the bucket holder. See this picture:

My real problem with this idea is i think it would weaken the hitch plate. Another idea was to have a new support made that would go into the ball mount of the Hitch-n-post. This will cost a few bucks as I don't have the tools to make such a heavy duty bracket.

Any other ideas to these problems????
:thanku:
:trink39:

·
Super Moderator
17,126 Posts
As far as the front weight Bracket goes lift up on the front lower potion of the weights a little and push Down on the Rod it should fit fine. I have to do that for my front weight Bracket on my X485 understanding that I have a diffrent tractor Same basic problem.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I had a couple weights that the casting was so crappy I had an issue too. Look inside the slot and there may be a ridge that's not letting the weight set down all the way. It might be where the bar rides also. Take a file and knock down the ridge. The weight on the left looks like it's worse than the other. Quality control.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the front weight Bracket goes lift up on the front lower potion of the weights a little and push Down on the Rod it should fit fine. I have to do that for my front weight Bracket on my X485 understanding that I have a diffrent tractor Same basic problem.:thThumbsU
I just went out and tried it and still no go...not even close! No matter how much you move the weight, the bar will never go through.

Then I tried something different...I put the bar through THEN hung the weight. I don't think it would ever fall off but it is not "locked" down. Is that the way it is supposed to be??? Would just have to remove all the weights before removing the rod to open the hood:fing20:

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
If it was me I simply grind the suitcase weight where the bar should pass true and touch up it with John Deere AG green paint. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,126 Posts
Grind the bar tip to a slight point on one end. Because the bar for the X485 has a point on on end What I usually do is just get it in by the tip a then hit it home with a rubber mallet It a pain to do Because as your moving the weight you have to push down on the Bar and slide it forward at the same time. I hate to say it in your case because the bar is thicker it just might be a two man job.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Call the dealer and find out if they lock in for sure. If so have them grind and repaint them. They may never fall off but if one did it would really mess up the tractor. As bad as our roads are around here I wouldn't even trailer it with loose weights.

Whats the scoop on the hidden hitch? never seen one before.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call the dealer and find out if they lock in for sure. If so have them grind and repaint them. They may never fall off but if one did it would really mess up the tractor. As bad as our roads are around here I wouldn't even trailer it with loose weights.

Whats the scoop on the hidden hitch? never seen one before.
I think that is exactly what I am going to do. If they wont grind them, I will have too. (Thats gonna be a lot o grindin'!)

I am sorry...I meant to say Hitchin Post. Here is more info:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_317694-60858-170_4294936085_?productId=3121691&Ntt=hitch&Ntk=i_products

·
Registered
573 Posts
Same issue with mine. Have to lift and tilt them to get the rod to fit. Since there is 4 weights on mine I had to get someone to help.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I dont think the brush guard and the weights are ment to work together, i believe
its one or the other. I have the single bucket holder and it mounts where the hitch is still clear for other uses.

·
Super Moderator
17,126 Posts
Maverick74 I don't know how I get that rod on by myself but I manage to do it with four weights and two Hands and for some reason it always on the hotest day of the year. When I don't have the loader on I run the brush Guard and 4weights when mowing:thThumbsU

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same issue with mine. Have to lift and tilt them to get the rod to fit. Since there is 4 weights on mine I had to get someone to help.
Just to show you how far off mine is...I can not get the bar in with only ONE weight installed!

I am going to need 1/4 of an inch ground off each one!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Brian,

On the bucket bracket - that bar is meant to keep the rack from moving down under weight. So I would look into the bolt that is just forward of the hitch hole. Take it out, and use that bolt (after bending the down bracket slightly) to hold the bracket for the double bucket rack. You may need a longer bolt, but might not.

Just my $.02.

--MIKE--

1 - 13 of 13 Posts