My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first tractor and a bunch of accessories and looking for some help. I found this forum and you all seem to have a lot of knowledge and I hope to tap into it.

I bought a older MTD 16hp Transaxle tractor, it starts and runs great. I don't know the age or model and can't seem find any info on the tractor since its been repainted a time or two.

It has a single cylinder Briggs & Stratton 16 hp motor, called a Easy-Spin Starting. It's has 4 speed manual transmission (2 belts), has a belt driven pto and a manual lift 3 point hitch.

It also came with a 50" mower(belt driven), a snowblower, a tiller, a blade, a lawn roller, wagon, wheel weights, chains and a cab.

I'd like to find out what the exact year and model is so I can get a manual and figure out how to use and maintain it all.

Thanks

Dave in Canada

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
With the big "Transaxle" spread out across the hood, you would think it was a brand called Transaxle. Nice that you have a 3 point hitch and wheel weights with it. Check on the engine, and look for the engine code after the model and type numbers. The first 2 numbers of the code number are the year the engine was made. That would be the same or 1 year newer for the rider, if the engine is original to the rider.

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
581 Posts
:Welcome1:

Welcome to the forum Dave!

From the pics you posted, it appears to be a mid-80's MTD 960. Might be off on the model, but it's not the 990, as that was hydrostatic and not manual.

If you need help, this is THE place to go!

Enjoy,
Rich

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
For the year, look at the numbers on the engine (they will be on the right side, IIRC). They will be in a format of XXXXXX-XX-XXXX YYMMXXXX -- the YYMM will be the two digit year and month of manufacture.

With the year you should be able to find the manual on the MTD site (http://www.buymtdonline.com/) by looking it up by year, brand, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts