My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi fellas,
I found a 2005 x485 with 300 hrs and bar tires for 5000$, I was ready to jump on the deal but after talking with the gentleman he explained the hour meter shows 1000 because his son left the key on all winter and the hour meter then runs.
the tractor does look to be in great shape but is it possible his statement is true?

·
blinged out
1,348 Posts
does he have any service records with dates and hrs?that would confirm or disprove the claim! 600hrs on the clock is 25days,not all winter, or the battery drained!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
His loss, treat it like a 1000 hour machine.

If it's true, he should get a new meter and let it run to near correct and never mention that story again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the gent owns an implement/tractor store and his son did this to several tractors while washing and moving them.
I will ask to get the hours in writing and a new hr meter installed,
5k is the lowest price I have seen for anything below 500 hrs

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
It Does seem Like a Fair Price
BTW Have owned a X485 for 10 years as of this coming June

Just to show you how versatile a X485 can be:thThumbsU

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is very nice!

another quicky, does the hour meter continue to run with just the key left on and the engine not running?

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
About a year ago, I bought my 2004 X485SE with 275 hours. Along with the SE package (HDAP tires, styled wheels, front fenders, grill guard and INCREDIBLE suspension seat) it came with a 3 point hitch. Paid $6500 at that time.

IMO, a plain X485 with potentially 1000 hours on it, while still a great machine, is not a steal at $5k.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Congrats on the x485. :fing32: That is a nice clean tractor.

·
Proud JD Owner
1,740 Posts
His loss, treat it like a 1000 hour machine.

If it's true, he should get a new meter and let it run to near correct and never mention that story again.
I agree! Treat it like a 1000 hour machine. Should be cheaper than 5k. I got my 2008 X720 for $5,350 with 387 hours on the clock.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thx fellas,
given the condition of the tractor and the fact I was given copies of the service records that showed 292 hrs when traded in I ponied up. I felt I was treated honestly and fairly.

on my way out I was handed a small box that contained a seat cover, the service records, a new hour meter and a 25% off coupon good at their store.

there were several 2003 485s I looked around here and the best of the bunch had 600 hrs for 4500$, but I liked the AWS and bar tires.

the hour meter alone had 278$ on the tag.

and thx for the offer of advice, I will have plenty of questions.

·
Murph
1,930 Posts
I bought the 485, holy smokes theses tractors are all business !, I went from a 1996 Murray to this!

Thats quite an upgrade, congratulations.....:greendr:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice tractor, I think the X485 are nice machines.

With regard to the hour meter, I have read a few for sales ads that claim the hours are higher because their kids left the key on (never the owner). On my X320, you can have the machine running with key on, step off the seat, and have the kill switch stop the engine. At that point, the hour meter is still powered, as the key is still in the on position. However, the hour meter will not advance. So at least for the new X3 series tractor, that claim is not true.

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
Congrats on getting it wrapped up. The X485 is a beast. Enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts