My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was moving a disable lawnmower in my yard. As I started to try to move the old mower the mower wouldn't pull it. It started to move the motion lever forward when the trans got very noisy to the point where I could feel the vibrations in the motion lever. Now I live on a hill I have no problem mowing. I can plow my garden even. But it seems to make an excessive amount of "transmission noise". It's the same sound it normally makes only much louder to the point that you can feel the pump working but it wont pull. Is there a bypass valve? I have a 71 12 hp massey fergusson that will pull more than my craftsman. Any Ideas??

·
Premium Member
9,903 Posts

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it's a hydro-static. I wish it was geared, but it had the best price so beggars cant be choosers. I was noticing in the manual that it shows a bypass valve in the trans. I know it doesn't pump any fluid when its not moving. Is it possible that the spring could be weak in that valve?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Yes, or the pump or motor could be worn so that they bypass oil instead of pumping it.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked at the inner workings of the LT craftsman trans. Where the pump and stator meet the trans case is where the wear occurs. The LT's use an aluminum case, whereas the heavier GT trans has an Iron plate it wear's against. I'm gonna try changing the fluid. To see what happens. By the way, I see that other members on here state that their Craftsman gaden tractors are a 5000 or a 6000. Mine only says GT. It has a 24 HP Kohler pro with a 50" deck. Does anyone know what series of garden tractor this is?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts