My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1999 Chevy c2500 with the 5.7 in it. I was wondering if anyone would know why the right front break keeps hanging up. The left one has only hung up one time. It has new pad's, and hoses. It will work fine one time when I drive it, and the next time, I will only get a few miles up the road, and it will start smoking.

Any help well be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You have a bad brake caliper. May be corrosion or warpage in the piston. My advice? Replace it with a good rebuilt one from your friendly neighborhood parts store.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. We will look into that.

Thanks again,

·
Administrator
12,617 Posts
You have a bad brake caliper. May be corrosion or warpage in the piston. My advice? Replace it with a good rebuilt one from your friendly neighborhood parts store.
:ditto: that, calipers do go bad after a number of years and hang up. A few re-build calipers and your back in business.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:ditto: that, calipers do go bad after a number of years and hang up. A few re-build calipers and your back in business.
Thanks. The truck has 221,500 miles, and still running good.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It's not a bad idea to replace the flex hoses while you're there and have to bleed anyway. I'm not sure about the newer body style, but the on 89-98 GM trucks the rear brake line is known to rust through right by the gas tank. I would look into it since brakes aren't something to skimp on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not a bad idea to replace the flex hoses while you're there and have to bleed anyway. I'm not sure about the newer body style, but the on 89-98 GM trucks the rear brake line is known to rust through right by the gas tank. I would look into it since brakes aren't something to skimp on.
Thanks. We just replaced the hoses yesterday, on both sides on the front. And I know that, at least one of the rear lines was replaced last year. The truck is the old body style, not the new one.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Bad caliper no doubt had it happen twice on different trucks. I've found that the dealer of all places when they sell calipers they are loaded with pads and almost the same price as buying good pads from an auto parts store:dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts