My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All… I have an 8 HP Troy Bilt (Yeah, actually built in Troy, NY) that I just replaced the drive belt on. After about an hour, give or take, in low range running the chipper attachment this brand new belt is stretched beyond usability. The tensioning mechanism just doesn’t move far enough to tighten this belt.
I’ve looked around for a stock length replacement for it but depending on where you look depends on what you see.
I put in a Gates
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

This looks like an A sheave on both the input and output and the belt seemed a bit long, albeit that’s what came out.
I’m the only owner, so if the wrong one went in last time, I have nobody to blame but myself for that.
Any observations on Kevlar belts? Any recommendations on where to find THE CORRECT replacement?
I’d like to get a bit more than an hour of run time out of a new belt if at all possible.
And thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steering part Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Steering wheel
A-19 (21” Outer Circumference) from McMaster is installed. We’ll see how long this holds up. Took off the engine mounted rubber coated reverse pulley to get the sheaves closer to install this belt. I wouldn’t do it any other way after doing it just once. It made that much of a difference.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The actual original TB factory belts are 21.5 for the horse tillers. Hardware store and internet belts, the so called will fits and stuff just dont cut it! Also they make them 22 inches and that also wont work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts