My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would ask some advice on my 1998 LX 176 that I'm pretty sure developed a bad oil leak after having the blade clutch replaced about 18 months ago. I hardly ever even put oil in it til after the repair...which honestly Im not exactly sure...It could have been there before hand(the leak). In the meantime I just went ahead and bought a X350 2018 used it just had 8 hours on it. But Im still using the 176 our old house which we r trying to sell. First of all what is the likely culprit...I just think the pan gasket is bad. If the new clutch wasn't properly done what would it be? Im not taking it back to hassle somebody and claim it was done wrong because I didn't really notice that much until a few months afterward. I wish there was a beginning to end pull the motor out change the pan gasket video for this tractor but I haven't seen one. I would even sell it if somebody really wanted it...and wanted to drive to Alabama and get it. Does anybody have a very detailed blueprint on how to pull the motor and fix it. I mean it just drips oil from under the engine...I put about 4oz of oil in every time I use it for about 1 hr a week. Any helpful comments appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Hmm, "Under the engine" covers a feet square feet! Clean area and find EXACTLY where oil is coming from. Could be from front seal/rear seal/valve covers/breather tube! Bob

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a bad oil leak from the base gasket near the oil filter. Fairly simple to remove the engine. Disconnect exhaust, unbolt carb, disconnect fuel lines, unplug electrics, remove pto, then unbolt the engine and lift it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, "Under the engine" covers a feet square feet! Clean area and find EXACTLY where oil is coming from. Could be from front seal/rear seal/valve covers/breather tube! Bob
Yep ur right...do you think that when the PTO was changed out...its easy for someone to have increased or started an oil leak?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Rwmeyer has it right. Find out what is leaking and from where is the first priority. Clean the engine really well, then see where the oil is actually coming from. Remember, oil can leak in one spot, travel along surfaces, then drip somewhere else.

Once you have the source, the repair will hopefully become obvious.

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts