My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I have just purchased my first John Deere, a used 1996 445, and would like to grab a snowblower for the winter. Someone locally is selling a 47inch snowblower that was used twice off of a 540x and is including weights, chains and a soft cab all for $800. I would like to know what we need to be purchased to make this if this unit compatible with my tractor.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Very nice model John Deere you just purchased. Unfortunately the 47" blower for sale is a belt driven one (if it is off an X540). You will need a shaft driven one. The housing might be the same but I believe the 47" hydro lift and chute control blowers for the 425/445/455 and X4/500/700 series have a metal chute instead of plastic. I think you will find that once you price out the parts needed to mount to your 445 you might want to just look for a used correct model? I wanted to change my 44" blower on my 155C to an X500 series but after buying the gearbox and lift mechanism it would be too expensive and not worth doing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
HI,

Welcome to the forums!

I cant help you with your question, as Im new to this myself. But, I purchased a 2001 445 a short time ago and it is a beast! Your going to love your new GT!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi MJV445,

I saw that blower in the Buf area, and yes, it does not fit.

You need the shaft driven 47 inch blower. Also you need the Quick tach front mount for the 425/45/55 tractors.

I just picked one up last month, and can't wait to try it out.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for all the help. I can't wait to get the tractor. It is being delivered on Thursday. I just bought a new house and had to upgrade!

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I agree that you should look to find one built for your tractor. The cost of getting the items to convert would likely be prohibitively expensive!

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Yes and Yes! They will normally go for $1500 and up and that looks in pretty good shape. New they are $3000!

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
I had a 445, then an x585, and now an x729. The 445 is an excellent tractor and with care will last forever. The x400/500/700s all have a lot of 445 in them. JD got it right with the 445 and has just refined it since then. The fuel injection, foot pedal controls, Kawaski engine, dual hydraulics, etc. have all been carried forward. The 47" 2 stage blower is still used today with almost no changes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I think I am going to let the wallet recover a bit and pass on the snowblower for now. Once again thanks for the quick info. Leaving dibs to Wasper. Gas up and go grab it!

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Funny, I was looking at John Deere snowblowers on eBay tonight and I don't remember even seeing a 47 inch one for sale! I think after last year's snowfall it's going to be pretty slim pickens on snowblowers at reasonable prices this year!

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
sold one that had been barely used with a quicktach hitch for under $1,000 unfortunately it did not have a drive shaft. If that one has a drive shaft (not in picture) is is a good deal for someone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts