My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backhoe has sat for 7 years and I have been slowly rebuilding some stuff on this machine and have had the main bearings recently replaced as well as valve lash done by a machinist. That got the engine going and it sounds great. Have been starting it to flush fluids and after about 10-20 minutes at idle it dies. Is not overheating. Perkins 3054 engine Turbocharged. New Cat lift pump, new o-rings and such on all fuel lines. Had the atomizers cleaned and rebuilt at a reputable diesel repair shop. New batteries new alternator. Injector pump has voltage until the engine starts to bog and try to pick itself up a few tines until it ultimately dies. Hard to restart afterward unless sat for about half an hour. Have to press on the pedal to start every time even though it is holding prime. Did a full fuel system air purge, fuel tank was boiled and is clean. I am at wits end with this as there has been so much little stuff going wrong.

What would be a good place to go from here? Any further information required?

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
1.You said the injection pump has voltage until it dies. So after it dies there's no voltage to the pump?

2. Does running above idle or adding load change the amount of time it runs?

3. Have you changed the fuel filter/s?

You obviously have a fuel issue but there could be simple issue like a failing relay that's causing the issue. If you can fill in some more details hopefully we can help you narrow down the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should it have voltage while off? I have not tested for that specifically.

Running it will make it die quicker yes.

I have changed the fuel filter twice now and replaced the plastic parts that go to it and new foam gasket as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you haven't shut it off it should have voltage to keep the fuel shutoff open. For troubleshooting you could hot wire power to the pump then see if that makes a difference. Otherwise the fuel shut off solenoid could be overheating and failing closed. That could explain the hard restart to. I'd check the resistance of the solenoid for reference you'll have to get a service manual or call your dealer and see if they can give you the specs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would not mess with it too much.
You may find yourself devoting a great deal of time to sitting down.
I used to have a FIAT 546 tractor with similar faults and it also sat in the field for many years without starting, I found myself for two months bringing technicians and working on it over and over and finally had no choice but to give it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts