My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the brake/motor shaft seal on the hydro transmission.
Here is what I did...
I drained the oil, pulled the bottom half of the case off and pulled out the transaxle motor shaft assembly (see link).

http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/SpearChardonTractorSales/parts-search.html#mr04-551ar04-551-137-9517

After pulling out the motor shaft assembly, I had to use my floor jack to hold up the pump shaft assembly. (see link)

http://partstore.agriculture.newhol...s/parts-search.html#mr04-551ar04-551-137-9518

I didn't want this assembly to drop out because I didn't know if I could put it back together.

I replaced the shaft seal (part #14 on first link), reassembled and re-sealed the tranny case, and refilled it with oil. I started the tractor and rocked the foot pedal back and forth a couple of times. Nothing. I checked to make sure that the manual disengage lever was not pulled out. Ok there..
I'm getting no movement from the tranny whatsoever. No whining, spinning... nothing. What did I do wrong??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Joe

·
^_^
65 Posts
I don't know much about how hydro's work but is it possible that the hydraulic pump lost prime?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Those links didn't work for me ? Your tractor was made by Toro so most guys here aren't familiar with these little monsters. Does your rig have a vertical shaft engine and the tranny is belt driven ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks donimbimbo and gwest_ca... I was able to download the Toro 260 Series Service Manual as well as the Tuff Torq K61A Service Manual. (It's funny how FNH wants hundreds of dollars for the "same" manual that you can download from Toro for free!)

To make a long story short, I completely removed the hydro from the tractor and pulled it apart. It is very difficult, and IMHO, not recommended to reassemble the hydro while it's mounted to the frame. (Newbie lesson #1). The two thrust metal pieces kept falling out on me. As pointed out in the service manual, this thing needs to be assembled inverted.

So now the hydro is on my workbench. I'm going to take my time and thoroughly clean the parts and put this thing together correctly. I was going to refill it using 10W-30, but after reading the service manuals I'm going to use 5W-50 synthetic.

Any tips on cleaning the oil filter? $44 for a new one?!... Ouch!

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
Does the LS45 have a spin on filter for the hydraulics? If so, take the old one down to you local NAPA dealer. They should be able to find you a replacement, that's what I did and they had the New Holland number in the book.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, it does not have a spin on filter. The tranny is a sealed system that sandwiches the filter between the top and bottom halves of the case. It's basically a fiberglass (i think) ring about 3.5 in diameter and 1 in tall. The manual says that the filter doesn't need replacing... Unless of course you have to open it up to service it. I was just wondering if I could hit it with a can of parts cleaner.

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
Yea that's what I would do, clean it and re-use. But you may want to use something like Simple Green to clean it. Parts Cleaner may be to harsh for the mesh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(update) Re: 1994 Ford New Holland LS45 K61D hydro not working

My first attempt at reassembling this transaxle was a failure. I used the K61 general service manual from Tuff Torq as my guide. BIG mistake. I didn't realize that there were so many variants of this drive. Not to mention the major spec changes between these variants.

I think the bottom line was that I rotated the motor housing by 180 degrees. So, basically the tractor operated in the opposite direction of the drive pedal. Even the speed of the tractor was consistent with the direction it moved. When I pressed forward on the drive pedal, the tractor moved in reverse and at the speed I would expect the tractor to move when in reverse.

So tell me, is this wholly a symptom of a rotated motor housing? or are there other factors here? A support rep at Tuff Torq has been very helpful in trying to come up with documentation for me for my particular serial number. The problem is that their documentation doesn't match up with my unit. A rotated housing was also his guess.

We determined that my model is a K61D.

I can't use the "Toro Tuff-Torq K61A Service Manual" for obvious reasons.

I have sent a few emails to some New Holland dealers and am waiting for responses. If I could be certain that my problem is solely due to the orientation of the motor housing, I'll re-assemble it and be done with it.

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
If it has an Eaton 11 pump unit on the front then YES, if you rotate a certain assembly 180 degrees it will reverse the drive. Mine is clearly stamped "CCW" on the front of the Eaton unit. But the assembly instructions mention a certain alignment to maintain the CCW input shaft rotation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
(SUCCESS !!) Re: 1994 Ford New Holland LS45 hydro not working

I successfully reassembled my K61 and it works like a champ! :drunkie:

None of the documentation that I was able to get my hands on could explicitly tell me the correct orientation to insert the motor housing into the case for my particular unit. The Toro 260/Tuff Torq manual only said to put it back in the same way you took it out. The Tuff Torq K61 general service manual said dimple side up (not correct for my serial number). I contacted various New Holland dealers and also Tuff Torq. The single New Holland dealer that got back to me said that they only had documentation for the K61A. A representative from Tuff Torq sent me many spec documents of the K61 (most of which I already had) but still conflicted with my unit.

So basically I traced the mechanics of the hydraulic circuit and made a logical determination of which way it should go. The serial number on my transaxle is 006601. The proper orientation for my motor housing is "dimple side down" during assembly.

It sure feels good to be back on my own tractor mowing my yard again.
Mowing with my neighbor's [insert other brand here] tractor was torture!

Thanks to all who participated!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: (SUCCESS !!) Re: 1994 Ford New Holland LS45 hydro not working

I successfully reassembled my K61 and it works like a champ! :drunkie:

Give me your address and I'll send ya mine to fix :trink40:

All kidding aside, you have more patience than I would of had

1 - 15 of 15 Posts