My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just picked up this mower.

I noticed it started leaking oil from the rear end right under the engine. Its a minor leak and leaks a couple of drops a day. I was hoping someone could point me into the right direction. Where are the most common spots to leak on this particular model?

I added pictures but it was dark already so the quality is not great and excuse the mess i didnt have time to clean it yet.

Other then the oil leak it runs and drives great. It has 1650 hours and it was well looked after.

In the 3rd picture the piece that says OHV the bottom is oily could it be leaking from there???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It certainly could be a valve cover gasket like pic 3, but keep in mind the amount of airflow that may disperse the oil to a lot bigger area than just where it comes from. especially true in air cooled engines. You might check what looks like hydraulic line connections in pic 2 to make sure they are tight. If you can determine the color of the oil, it might help solve where it is coming from.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Power wash it and you will have a better idea what is leaking.

quickshot

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i power washed it and now i can see where its leaking from. Please see the picture!! Its leaking on the bottom under the engine by the 6 bolts. Is this the main seal? Could someone tell me how to fix this so it stops leaking please??

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
With small drips like this, it could be most anything from loose bolts, compressed/dried out gasket, warped cover from heat, bad mating surface from machining, or incorrect oil(too light viscocity, grade or using synthetic oils, or incorrect hydraulic fluid(different manufacturer or grade) being used.

I don't know what this cover goes to or comes from, but you said it's from the engine on bottom, so it could be a sump pan, but I don't really know this engine or how it's plumbed.

First thing I would try is a re-tightening of bolts -- don't do a gorilla tightening as it looks like bolts are attached to aluminum and also the pan/lid is also aluminum, either could be stripped or cracked. Just do a good snug turn of bolts to at least see if they might be loose.

You might also try taking out each bolt one at a time and putting on some automotive silicon to stop any oil drips from the bolt, as that's where the gasket has thinnest sealing surface.

Something I've done when a gasket is hard to get, order or expensive, is remove the gasket, if can get off in one piece and spray down with carb cleaner and carefully blot off. Then spray with automotive/bbq paint on both sides in a thin layer. Just a light spray is needed and let dry. Reinstall. Worked for me for years, or make your own gaskets. It's quite easy. material is available at any automotive store.

Replace the gasket. Always a good and many times best option, but oil/fluid may need draining and replaced, so prepare with fluids if needed.

Always go with the easiest options first, then keep rechecking and move on to next available option if previous didn't correct the problem.

You may find some good videos on your problem and how to correct, but first you need to find out what this item and its location is, so some detective work on your part is needed. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts