My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 Yard Man 42" riding mower that does an excellent job of cutting my lawn. Recently ran into a problem starting the unit. When I first try to start the unit it just clicks. Service center said I needed a new battery. probably right 5 years old. Problem persists. If I put a charger on the battery, it will start after about 5 hours of charging. Will run and cut lawn but after about a week of sitting I go thru the same procedure. Repaced the solenoid problem persists. Ideas??? Thx

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a new battery is needed.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,338 Posts
The battery cables are probably corroded inside under the insulation maybe,after that many years,they might not be letting full current get to the solenoid & starter..bad grounds can cause no starts and clicking too...it could be the starter itself is worn out or has the brushes worn down too,but if it cranks normally with a jumper battery its likely OK..

Does it spin over normally after charging the battery,or jump starting it with a car battery ?..if so it might be your new battery has a bad cell or was sitting on a store shelf a long time before you got it and is sulphated inside,I'd have a load test done on it..

·
Hoosier Daddy
897 Posts
I've had solenoids that still click over, but the contacts were corroded enough inside to not let much or any current across. Not super common, but it's happened.

Also, check your battery voltage with a meter to be sure the tractor is charging the battery properly. If not, you may be draining voltage from it while operating, then having to recharge to start it again.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
as suggested you need at least 12.4 volts on the battery. there are various points to lose voltage. check section 17.35 of this document.
web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/mtd-769-01415_electrical-2.pdf
I've had a case where the circuit from battery through safeties and keyswitch would not pass enough current to fully engage the starter solenoid. To test that you can disconnect the small wire from the solenoid small tab and jumper directly from battery positive to the small tab and see if it cranks.

·
Administrator
21,200 Posts
I am going to suggest a "Starter Assist Relay". Very simple to install and very cheap to build yourself. Drop me a PM if you have any questions or need a schematic. If you look at my signature line there is a link to a You-Tube video that goes into detail on this problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts