My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning, Looking at a 1992 Simplicity Sovereign 17GTL-H. It has a 17hp kohler twin, 48" deck rear PTO and hyd. lift. Just moved into new house on just over an acre with one big hill. Might do some light tilling for the garden my wife wants. The price is $700 and it appears to be in pretty good shape. This would be my first tractor and I am brand new to this. Pro's and con's on this machine?? Any feed back is much appreciated.

Eric

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
That be a good tractor, the older Simplicity's are heavy duty tractors. If you know or can get the model # it will start with the #`s 169xxxxx that will get you a owner & parts manual from www.simplicitymfg.com/ does have the single cylinder or twin cylinder motor. Simplicity give a very good cut there floating deck doesn't scalp the lawn it rolls on rollers. If the motor doesn't knock or smoke on start up and it moves good try out a hill to see it the hydro is weak, most have spin on oil filters on there hydros. Lots of grease fittings so get a good grease gun. Check the deck for any rust through holes and noisy blade bearings the mower drive belt should be in good condition Just check it over good If you have a friend that is medicinally inclined take him with you 4 eyes are better then 2. Start bidding at 500 then work you way up or down depending first of all how does it look was it kept inside? Thats important out of the weather is always better then out in it 365 days a year

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply Mower Man. I will take your advice with me when I get out to see the tractor, hopefully tomorrow. Oh yeah, it has the twin cylinder. :thanku:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts