My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MT IDA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GT has an Onan 20 HP engine and a little black box called a low voltage sensor, this is dumb, but what does it do? Is it like a voltage regulator and causes the battery to charge? Thanks MT IDA

·
JD318
990 Posts
Low voltage sensor? Haven't heard of that one before...

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Hello MT.IDA, does your dash panel have a small square set of 4 idiot lights? Such as battery, oil pressure, disengage pto, and engage brake? If so, that little box is for the battery light. It is set to turn on the light when voltage drops below a predetermined set point. This has nothing to do with the voltage regulator for the charging system.

I have one on my Craftsman II GT18. I tested the low voltage sensor using a battery and battery charger. Using the wiring diagram for your tractor, and a whole lot of jumpers, connect the low voltage sensor to the battery, and the light to the sensor. The light should illuminate. Turn the charger on for a 2A rate. A DVM would be helpful at this point to see the setpoint. As the voltage rises, it will go above the set point, causing the light to go out. Turn off the charger. Eventually, the voltage will drop and the light will come on again.

Good Luck!

Seth K. Pyle

·
MT IDA
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Seth, thats it. The battery light will come on dim at idle with the headlights on. That had me stumped. MT IDA:bannana:

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
That is a plus, it means the low voltage sensor is working. Which is good, because if I remember right, it is NLA from Sears or AYP.

Sweet tractor.

Seth K. Pyle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts