My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad on CL for a "RIDIDNG LAWNMOWER - $150" the text in the ad was:

I HAVE A MURRAY 12HP 38IN CUT MOWER, NEEDS A NEW FLOAT, WE HAVE PUT NEW BLADES, BELT, AND SOMETHING ELSE THAT GOES TO THE BATTERY (AS YOU CAN SEE, I'M NOT FOR SURE WHAT IT IS CALLED) ALL YOU EXPERTS WILL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. THIS IS A FIRM PRICE, I HAVE ENTIRELY TO MUCH MONEY TIED UP INTO IT. IF INTERESTED PLEASE CALL XXX-XXX-0555, OR XXX-XXX-9936. THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY

So, I give them a call and subsequently go out and look at the mower that suposedly needs carb work (float). I get there and find a halfway decent chassis with an oil soaked engine (12 HP B&S) not producing any compression. I respectfully tell the couple that I can't pay $150 for this and if they woulkd ever concider a lower offer to give me a call. I made it about 10 feet back to my truck and trailer. They asked what would I give for it? I explained that I would Pay $60 for it because the engine needs to be replaced and that would cost me $200 and the mower is worth $300 in running condition. They understood and accepted my offer.

When I got home I removed the head and rotated the engine by hand and could see the valves were moving as they should but the piston was stuck at TDC not moving at all. There I was, worst case senario... broken rod! I removed the engine and then the base plate. Sure enough the rod was in four pieces. Okay, the engines junk. I pull an old flat head 8 HP B&S off my shop floor and put it in the ole Murray. I open the fuel valve and the carb leaks like a siv (SP?). I wonder if the 12 HP carb will work? It did. I cut my lawn with this mower the same day I bought it for $60. I still need to fabricate a rod for the choke but she ran good. I'll get some pics of the ole rusty girl up after the sun comes up. It's been a long day. It took a half a case of beer to get her running again.
:trink40:

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Sounds like you made out. $60 offer was fair, and they must have known it. Looking foward to the pics.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Yep, sounds like a deal, and you got to cut your yard with it plus have some brews :).

Looking forward to a pic or two of it when ya can :fing32:.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Sounds like a good day. It's great when the stars align, things go well and the cost is low.

The word you were grouping for is 'sieve'.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few pictures... The ones I took at night did not come out very good but you can see the top of the hood is primer gray. A quick trip to the auto parts paint section and a little finish sanding I got it red again.

The 8hp B&S pulls the mower around pretty good and it has more than enough torque to climb my ramps for trailer loading. I will have her posted on CL today and see what I can get for my labor.

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
What color did you use on the hood? It looks similar to the rattle can color I used for my 1984 Murray, just a touch off, and more subdued than the original red. That original Murray red is hard to match.

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Dupli-Color MS300 metal specks retro red is what the rattle can says.
How do you feel it matched? It looks more purplish than red, but it may be the lighting. But again, it looks like the paint I used on the 84 I used to have. Looking at mine, I painted the hood and the fenders in an effort to "blend" it, so it would not look so different from the original.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
A few pictures... The ones I took at night did not come out very good but you can see the top of the hood is primer gray. A quick trip to the auto parts paint section and a little finish sanding I got it red again.

The 8hp B&S pulls the mower around pretty good and it has more than enough torque to climb my ramps for trailer loading. I will have her posted on CL today and see what I can get for my labor.
Nice Score!:fing32: Thats my favorite bodystyle Murray:thThumbsU

1 - 14 of 14 Posts