My Tractor Forum banner

1991 MTD cuts out

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mreilly 
#1 ·
Mornin'
1991 MTD LT12.5-38 [mod. 131-662F118]. This tractor cuts out while mowing as if the key was shut off momentarily then recovers in a couple seconds or so. Gets worse the longer you mow with it. Eventually just stops, but starts right back up usually. Replaced the ignition switch and have ruled out the fuel system. Mowed yesterday with a timing light hooked up [took MUCH longer to act up with the timing light hooked up]. But when it did cut out the timing light went dead so it is definitely is a "no spark" condition. Any ideas? Is there one common spot at the engine to easily disconnect all the safety interlocks at the same time to rule them out?
Many thanks guys,
Mike

#3 ·
Is there one common spot at the engine to easily disconnect all the safety interlocks at the same time to rule them out?
Don't know about the MTD in particular but in general the safety interlock all conspire to ground out the ignition coil. If you remove the grounding wire at the engine, it will disable the safety interlocks but it will also prevent you from shutting the engine off with the key.

Beyond that, forum rules forbid us from advising how to disable safety interlocks.

#6 ·
Hi all,
Just reporting back. Yes, it was an interlock problem. After disconnecting the coil ground wire, I could mow all day. I recalled doing a hurried "bypass" number out of frustration back in '92 when the tractor was a year old. I suspect one of my many splices loosened up somewhere. At any rate this decision was easy [a dash mounted kill button wired directly to the "you know what"].
Thank you. You've all been a great help.
I appreciate it.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.