My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay no pictures YET but I hope to get my dad down there with the digital camera. I found an extended cab f-150 for sale for 5,995. Brand new two tone paint black and maroon. Brand new 35 inch tires. Interior looks new. 155,9XX miles. Has a visor and sliding window in back. New single exhaust. Has a 302 which might be a little small with the 35's? They say without repairing my explorer that they will sell the truck for 3 grand. Guys think this is a good deal? The truck is really in mint condition. I hope to get pictures soon. It does have a small suspension lift too. New tranny, they put in a C6 so there isnt any overdrive anymore. Thanks for the input good or bad it helps.

·
Super Moderator
31,898 Posts
Well with 35's and a 302 you will need a gear upgrade. At best you have 3:55's, and take it fome a guy that has them, and 31" tires, with 35's you want 4:11's. Also 6 grand seems a bit high.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has 4.11 gears already also if we were to trade the explorer in he said he'd only want 3,000 then... I think thats fair considering theres paint on the rear bumper and the back door doesnt open and the front left fender is pretty bad

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove it and it rode really nice in my opinion... I don't think it sounds too bad considering the cost of a stock truck then paying for my own lift kit and tires and labor to put it all in. Has American Racing rims too.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me and him are going to check it out saturday. He said as long as I keep my grades up till the end of the year he will buy me a truck... I know I don't have pictures but I cannot say how good of condition this truck really is in...

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Why the new paint? Has it had body parts replaced and need paint to hide them? High milage and expensive, IMO. I would be concerned with how the truck has been taken care of (or not) and how it has been driven (hard)...

Sorry, farmy, but I think you can find a better one (just from the info posted).

Greg

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Farmallmaniac , I seen a f-250 today , I took some pics . I`ll post them later tonight .
Its not what u want or need , But I thought you might like to see them. 1977 ext, cab 4x4 , very few built with 4 wheel.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
paint wears out... Maybe previous owner wanted a different color? idk could be many reasons... I dont see 155,9XX as high mileage considering the alternative to be a 1979 pickup...

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
drbailey said:
Farmallmaniac , I seen a f-250 today , I took some pics . I`ll post them later tonight .
Its not what u want or need , But I thought you might like to see them. 1977 ext, cab 4x4 , very few built with 4 wheel.
Im sorry ,, Im haveing a problem ;oading the pics from my Cam. to my computer. I figure it out tomorrow.
This truck has been , being built for a long time , The man has done a good job . Has flexsteel seat (900.00) 460 ci , engine , (dino`s 520 hp.),, Major lift kit , double shocks, lots of chrome. New wheels and tires . lots of billet purdys everywhere. Nichol plated headers , not just chrome. All MSD stuff.
I didn`t ask why he is selling the truck , his house his tool ( 37,000.00 dollars worth of tools and very large box, for $7000.00 )
Truck price , For what he has in the drive train !! $8,000.00 :fing20:
I will get some pics to you. Don

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
farmallmaniac said:
I dont see 155,9XX as high mileage considering the alternative to be a 1979 pickup...
Ryan,

I know your excited about getting a truck. Just don't make a knee jerk decision and spend to much money. There are lots of trucks out there...have patience...the right deal will come along.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Those trucks had bad primer and the paint would flake off. Ford would have to strip it back down to metal and re prime and repaint them. I know this because my ex boss had one and his brother in law was a big wig at Ford. Chevy and Dodge had the same problem also in those years. Thats the reason it was repainted. I just hope they took it back to the metal because if they didn't the paints not going to stick to that bad primer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jodyand said:
Those trucks had bad primer and the paint would flake off. Ford would have to strip it back down to metal and re prime and repaint them. I know this because my ex boss had one and his brother in law was a big wig at Ford. Chevy and Dodge had the same problem also in those years. Thats the reason it was repainted. I just hope they took it back to the metal because if they didn't the paints not going to stick to that bad primer.
Thanks Jody, I will have to ask about it when we go saturday. Anyone have some good questions I should ask about the truck?

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Has the engine been overhauled? You said it had a different tranny...Why??
Check the twin I beams and the front end parts in general.
Take it for a ride and take special notice to how the front end feels through the steering wheel...you should be able to tell if it's loose or not.

Are you prepared to crawl under it and have a look around for rust or something that just looks out of place? Inspect the frame for cracks or welds...if you see something don't be afraid to speak up and question it. After all, if your willing to shell out that kind of money you should get answers.

If I think of more between now and then I'll post them.

Good Luck :fing32:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright I'll probably drive there tomorrow before I show it to my dad so I know if he will like it or not so if its a lemon I wont bother dragging him too it

·
Super Moderator
31,898 Posts
Sorry, dont want to rain on your party, just we have all been there before, and dont want you to get taken. Now the 3grand is a good price. If you concerder the Exploader pretty much tossable, I would say you are in the ball park. Just as an example, I paid 2 grand for my '95 bronco. It had 125K, and has a little rust in the quaters but not bad. The best thing is that it is untouched. You are always better off buying an unmodafided truck, and doing the mods your self. You just dont know where they cut corners. But in saying that, if the Explorer is as rough as you say, it is probably a $1000 truck. Add that to the 3 grand he would take, I think you are in the ball park. Just take a good look at it. Check for rust repairs in the rear wheel arches, and on the cab in the part of the rockers that goes under the extra cab. Also check for bad ujoints, and steering, and any noises in the rear end. That truck should have a 8.8 rear diff, and wile its good, and strong, if it was abused hard, it would not live long under 35's, so check it out.

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
Take a magnet around on the body and see how much "bondo" it has in it.

Dur

1 - 20 of 32 Posts