My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1991 2182 January 2021 From Cub Cadet used parts. Use to be Houtz & Sons Cub Cadet dealer In Elburn, IL Now run out of his 3 acre personal back yard

The 2182 was not In the best cosmetic condition, when I went to look at It . But it ran well

Things Rob Houtz had done to it
Rebuilt the Power steering valve
Serviced the liquid cooled Kubota engine & Serviced the transmission

So had Rob deliver it to my home and I went an Parked it behind my John Deere 2025R. There it sat until late August 2021(occasional starting it)

But back in January 2021 decide the 1st thing to do was track down a hood in at least decent condition well the front grill/Hood support was still available form MTD end Up with 3 of them
hood side Panels have enough for two complete hoods. Bought right panel from MTD and Left Panel from IHCCW and a second Grill/Hood support from them as well. Then found another hood support/grill That had a new headlight kit with it from .ccspecialtie.

Well do to the original hood design for the 2182, I knew I would have to cut a hole In the hood and if you follow the way MTD designed it. I knew It would again break some where down the line.

So decide the muffler was going to go upright. Well the original muffler was rather rusty so instead of re-painting it. I bought a new one from eBay.

I did Purchase a Cat 0 3point hitch from Xtreme motor Works called a 82 Series Cub Cadet - Modified Kit for Cub Cadet Super Garden tractor In July

From there everything sat Until August 2021 as I was building a addition onto my barn, Which I call the Cub Cadet & Wheel horse Hall 9ft X 37 FT insulated room

So about the end of August 2021 decided to do finally get off my rear and fix the hood & muffler. Realizing I had a lot of left over Cub Cadet paint Yellow & White for the classic IH Cub Cadets decided I would do a refresh of the Paint even thought it the wrong Yellow & White for the MTD made Cyclops Supers( I re-painted but not trying for show room new). Also re-painted my IH Cub Cadet 106 at the same time

Decided after all the Painting was done I should find someway to protect the hood. Knowing the OEM brush guard is not available anymore. For the Heck of it I type the Part Number into google sure enough I find a new one from IHCCW they just got in stock.

Then I know I want this tractor to be my 3point everything tractor. Might as also add new rear AG tires https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O5WA6I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 They ended up being less expensive on Amazon as it was free shipping over Miller Tire that's still charged shipping The 26x12-12 are also 8ply tires. As my tire changer https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200596755_200596755 is not Bolted to the floor anymore upstairs in the Barn Decide to let the dealer do it.

Also decided to change the front tires. Was going to change the front tires to this 18x8.50-8 Hartford 3-Rib Front Tractor Tire 6 Ply But there out of stock until August 2022 so got some 6ply 18x8.50-8 Vredestein 6 Ply V61 On Amazon again free shipping again Just let my local Cub Cadet dealer put them on the rims.

So once the tires were done decided it was time to Put the Xtreme 3point bracket on. Well found out the hard way that you do need to drain the Transmission. So Just let it drain from one of the Transmission bolts I removed instead of the drain Plug. But 1st I hand washed the transmission as the hydro fluid was new and didn't need to be changed. Just going to reuse what I had.

Once the transmission was drained it took about 10 minutes to put the 3point plate on and then 45 minutes to refill the transmission 1 12oz Plastic cup at a time from my wash tub. The fill tube on that transmission is to narrow.

So everything is on now and re-painted! Decide to see if I could convert the Xtreme Modified Cat 0 to a Limited Cat 1 with the Help of Bill Rueggs Parts Bought this Kit RUEGG made Cat 1 Lower Arms for 3 pt Hitch 318,330,430,425,445, 455, & X series | eBay On ebay and Bought some other Cat 0 Lift Links That didn't work because they were to long So Called Bill Ruegg and ordered His lift links for the Cat0/1 Hitch.

So today I can run either the Xtreme Cat 0 arms or Bill Rueggs limited Cat 1 arms.

Still have to put on new decals(I'll wait on the decals until next year) and a new left taillight cover
(y)

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Super Moderator
17,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pictures 1

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures 2

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,542 Posts
Looks fantastic. (y)

·
Super Moderator
17,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still have to pick up the Neighbors 450 45inch Two stage blower from His Cub 1541. I have a feeling the 1541 may end up mine as well. As they Have a Husqvarna ZTR and the neighbors wife keeps on offering the 1541 to me. Because next year they plan on moving to there 99 acre ranch near Pueblo Colorado and she doesn't want to take it with them

The hood on the 2182 is from a 1641 and the side panels are from a 1440. I really wish Cub had stayed with a Metal grill at least with the cyclops series I don't think the poly side panels and hood would Have had so many Issues on the 2182 or 1782 as the plastic grill holds down the front mounted metal battery tray on

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Premium Member
5,093 Posts
Very cool, it looks great!

·
Super Moderator
9,542 Posts
I have this in my local saved FB pages. How expensive to replace the plastics?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
17,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have this in my local saved FB pages. How expensive to replace the plastics?

View attachment 2523545
About $480 thru eBay is what I ended up paying which is relatively cheap compared to buying used through some of the bone yards I listed in this thread 1 panel I did have to glue In a threaded rod so I could use a wing nut and a washer to hold it on But the rest of the side panels still had there Tabs (y)
BTW I have all the service, owners and parts manuals in PDF form as well! As Only cub cadets doesn't have the manuals for the 2182 and You Can't download it from Cub Cadet either at least the service and parts manuals

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Super Moderator
9,542 Posts
About $480 thru eBay is what I ended up paying which is relatively cheap compared to buying used through some of the bone yards I listed in this thread 1 panel I did have to glue In a threaded rod so I could use a wing nut and a washer to hold it on But the rest of the side panels still had there Tabs (y)
BTW I have all the service, owners and parts manuals in PDF form as well! As Only cub cadets doesn't have the manuals for the 2182 and You Can't download it from Cub Cadet either at least the service and parts manuals
Man if I was looking for a project I could probably nab that for $350. Must resist

·
Super Moderator
11,486 Posts
@Sergeant ..always see you responding to other people's questions...goods to see you post some of your stuff...great collection...now for the tough question....if you had to choose...which is your favorite of all your tractors?

·
Super Moderator
17,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Sergeant ..always see you responding to other people's questions...goods to see you post some of your stuff...great collection...now for the tough question....if you had to choose...which is your favorite of all your tractors?
Well since this is the Cub Cadet forum I'll just stick with my Cub Cadets for this answer. My favorite Cub Cadet is the 106 which is actually my second IH Cub Cadet tractor and 1st Cub Cadet Purchased. The 1st Cub Cadet was a Original given to me for free. The Person had no idea what he had when he gave me the Original the Month after I retired from the Army. But In 2003 Bought the JD X485 In June and Bought the 106 in August of 2003. When I was a child about 6 years old I remember when the neighbors brought that 106 home They lived in a sub division across the boulevard or actually 2 doors down from my parents.

Oh boy was I jealous as I use to see him throw snow with that QA36A and He didn't even have a spring assists on that 106. He strong armed that QA36A Up himself. Well He Passed on I think in 2002 or early 2003. I just happened to be at my parents house and there next door neighbor said I am surprised it's still here I would have though you would have bought it by now. I got The 106 for $450 Came with a Peco 5HP Bagger, Qa36A thrower, Homemade wooden fold-able Cart and a Parker sweeper & Like a Idiot I didn't take the Parker sweeper.

It ran fine only thing wrong with the 106 was the muffler was bad He had a long pipe wired to the muffler That was the 1st thing I looked for, Found it at binders Books along with the parts Manuals for the Narrow Frame Cub Cadets. That's when I went looking for a IH 3point hitch found one at ccspecialties when it was owned by a different owner I do believe as I waited a month and it never showed up. Called My John Deere/Cub Cadet & White dealer to see if he could still get it from MTD and at the time in 2003 MTD still had a lot of IH Parts in stock. So that arrived quickly and Finally after having registering on the Unofficial Cub Cadet forum and contacting the owner of ccspecialties finally got the IH 3point I had Paid and Order from him. I then ordered a Cub Cadet spring assist and a original Brinly Hitch I think about 2004 I found a OEM electric lift kit on eBay Installed that. About 2006 I finally decided to repaint it.

So I took it Back to my parents house(as the wife didn't want me getting paint in our Garage) to do that So thought it was fitting to do it near my neighbor the IH Cub Cadet test engineer who lived across the street Didn't know he was so sick at the time with pneumonia do to his COPD. Mr Stevenson died while I was doing a a refresh on the 106 His Family Came up just as I was taking it down off the ramps and told me he had passed. But that on his death bed he was thinking of me and wanted to Make sure his Family did something for that pesky neighbor boy as he still called me I was about 42 at the time Well he told them to give me the 60 which I didn't actually pick up until the following year. About 2013 I took over the mowing duties for His wife as her Landscaper retired and his son In Law never came to mow. So the 106 was used for that Job until she passed in spring 2016 and continued to Take Care of the Yard Until the House was sold.

So 15 years later the Cub Cadet needed a face lift again. Did Buy a OEM Narrow frame Hydraulic lift for it But decided to invest In One of these, Either this
https://ph.parker.com/us/en/compact-electro-hydraulic-actuator or this Looking for hydraulic cylinders? Consider this option first! for the 106 so I can kind of keep that OEM look. Then Put the OEM Narrow frame Hydraulic lift on the model 70 I also got from a Now Late friend who had Purchased it In 1963 new I think could be a little newer.

Sorry for such a long winded response. But the 106 is my favorite Cub Cadet (y)

·
Super Moderator
17,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something I didn't mention in the original post was the 2182 has LED headlights thanks to a headlight kit form a eBay seller( i save tractors) Actually plan on upgraded all my tractors to his kits that use that style of headlight (y)

·
Super Moderator
38,580 Posts
Well since this is the Cub Cadet forum I'll just stick with my Cub Cadets for this answer. My favorite Cub Cadet is the 106 which is actually my second IH Cub Cadet tractor and 1st Cub Cadet Purchased. The 1st Cub Cadet was a Original given to me for free. The Person had no idea what he had when he gave me the Original the Month after I retired from the Army. But In 2003 Bought the JD X485 In June and Bought the 106 in August of 2003. When I was a child about 6 years old I remember when the neighbors brought that 106 home They lived in a sub division across the boulevard or actually 2 doors down from my parents.

Oh boy was I jealous as I use to see him throw snow with that QA36A and He didn't even have a spring assists on that 106. He strong armed that QA36A Up himself. Well He Passed on I think in 2002 or early 2003. I just happened to be at my parents house and there next door neighbor said I am surprised it's still here I would have though you would have bought it by now. I got The 106 for $450 Came with a Peco 5HP Bagger, Qa36A thrower, Homemade wooden fold-able Cart and a Parker sweeper & Like a Idiot I didn't take the Parker sweeper.

It ran fine only thing wrong with the 106 was the muffler was bad He had a long pipe wired to the muffler That was the 1st thing I looked for, Found it at binders Books along with the parts Manuals for the Narrow Frame Cub Cadets. That's when I went looking for a IH 3point hitch found one at ccspecialties when it was owned by a different owner I do believe as I waited a month and it never showed up. Called My John Deere/Cub Cadet & White dealer to see if he could still get it from MTD and at the time in 2003 MTD still had a lot of IH Parts in stock. So that arrived quickly and Finally after having registering on the Unofficial Cub Cadet forum and contacting the owner of ccspecialties finally got the IH 3point I had Paid and Order from him. I then ordered a Cub Cadet spring assist and a original Brinly Hitch I think about 2004 I found a OEM electric lift kit on eBay Installed that. About 2006 I finally decided to repaint it.

So I took it Back to my parents house(as the wife didn't want me getting paint in our Garage) to do that So thought it was fitting to do it near my neighbor the IH Cub Cadet test engineer who lived across the street Didn't know he was so sick at the time with pneumonia do to his COPD. Mr Stevenson died while I was doing a a refresh on the 106 His Family Came up just as I was taking it down off the ramps and told me he had passed. But that on his death bed he was thinking of me and wanted to Make sure his Family did something for that pesky neighbor boy as he still called me I was about 42 at the time Well he told them to give me the 60 which I didn't actually pick up until the following year. About 2013 I took over the mowing duties for His wife as her Landscaper retired and his son In Law never came to mow. So the 106 was used for that Job until she passed in spring 2016 and continued to Take Care of the Yard Until the House was sold.

So 15 years later the Cub Cadet needed a face lift again. Did Buy a OEM Narrow frame Hydraulic lift for it But decided to invest In One of these, Either this
https://ph.parker.com/us/en/compact-electro-hydraulic-actuator or this Looking for hydraulic cylinders? Consider this option first! for the 106 so I can kind of keep that OEM look. Then Put the OEM Narrow frame Hydraulic lift on the model 70 I also got from a Now Late friend who had Purchased it In 1963 new I think could be a little newer.

Sorry for such a long winded response. But the 106 is my favorite Cub Cadet (y)
Don't think that us JD types aren't reading this forum too!!! Someone has to keep tabs on this unruly crowd!! :)

·
Super Moderator
17,078 Posts
Love reading your life story and answers-Sarge--solid memory also. My wife sometimes makes a statement of 'how come I remember mechanical stuff, but can't remember some of the prattle she tells me'..matter of priority and what is interesting-I guess-:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
17,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't think that us JD types aren't reading this forum too!!! Someone has to keep tabs on this unruly crowd!! :)
Favorite Deere I Can't answer to as. There all My Favorites there isn't one I Like Better then the Other. Use to hate My 1969 112 with a Tecumseh engine and ever since sending it in to have a mechanical restore It Been more reliable then the 140H3 I love to Plow the Garden with it even with the manual lift with spring assist thought i just bought a Hydraulic Lift kit off evil Bay for it This time I got the Tecumseh bracket I have another One for the 110 Kohler fender deck and when I find a 110 Fender deck I'll put it On it. I am slightly crazy earlier this summer I bought a 1point Lift Kit for the Simplicity Conquest/Prestige Non suspension . Trying to find a 1 Point for Suspension tractors I tend to buy hitch Kits or Hydraulic lift kits before I even have the tractor

BTW the Limited Cat 1 I Put on the Cub 2182 actually lifts a inch Higher then the Limited Cat 1 on My JD X748. When it stop rainning around here I think I'll try My Old work saver Cat0/1 Rear Blade on it (y)

Reactions: PA318Guy
1 - 17 of 17 Posts